Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    The role of the side length
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The role of the side length
 Login/Join

posted
What is the role of the "side length? I noticed some values may change the horizontal bust dart. What does this measurement's role?
Thanks,
Sandi A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the role of the "side length? I noticed some values may change the horizontal bust dart. What does this measurement's role?

The quick answer is that it controls side bust dart width, along with the Front Bust and High Bust measurements.

The longer answer is that a line is drafted from the armhole location (at High Bust width), through a point at bust level and Front Bust width, and extending an amount equal to the Side Length measurement. That line sticks outwards at an extreme angle to the main pattern. The program then opens a side bust dart. As the dart opens wider, the line is bent back towards the body. When the tip of this line reaches Front Waist width, the side bust dart is big enough and that amount is used for bust darting thereafter.

Bottom line is that the side bust dart is bigger if there is greater difference between High Bust and Bust Front. AND, that dart is bigger the larger Side Length is. To tinker with side bust dart size, you can change:

1. High Bust. But, that will also effect the fit at the bottom of the armhole.

2. Bust Front. But, that will effect the fit across the bust.

3. Side Length. That only effects the size of the bust dart itself.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I appreciate the detailed info.
Sandi A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post