Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side seam ?
 Login/Join

posted
I've made several tops and have noticed that my side seams, look like they are longer than the front and back. Could my armhole depth be too long or should I shorten my side seam. If I change it, the 1" difference from the front and back armhole will change. TIA

Darlene

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Side seams must match..which garments are you working with.

Also regarding club memberships.I dont have email or full name to verify DS ownership.whioch I do for every applicant.

I made a promise to those users showing their sloper pictures that this club is limited to DS Owners....so I actually verify each application.

Please send me full name and or email address under which you are registered and I would be happy to finish the approval process.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
actually the front and back side seams do match, they just seem too long (i.e. from a side view the front and back hem match, but the side seam is longer). Right now I'm working with the darted camp shirt using a Challis fabric. But, I noticed it when I made a casual princess top too. On the fitted knit tops I've made this hasn't been a problem.

Darlene

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't change measurements for this.
The side seams hanging longer than center front or center back is possibly a combination of the drafting, garment ease and the type of fabric used. Trim the excess from the side seam hem in a shallow scoop to nothing at CF or CB to correct the garment.

The pattern drafts the hems horizontally and if you have a noticable waist/hip difference this will angle the side seam and make a point at the side seam hem. True your pattern - butt the front and back together at the side seams stitch line and smooth the hemline, trimming this point off. For more on truing patterns go to http://www3.telus.net/inspiredsewing ; Patternmaking/Truing Patterns.

If the garment has a lot of ease, this mostly hangs at the sides where it is unsupported by the shoulders or body, thus it droops. A soft fabric like challis will also droop more than a firm cotton.

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post