Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Shirt front closures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shirt front closures
 Login/Join

posted
Boy did I blow it! But I found a cure. I was making a men's long sleeved dress shirt and discovered that I had the tab front placket piece on the wrong side of the shirt. Since I use a separate piece for this the placket parts of the shirt fronts are different widths. After a little research I discovered a shirt style called a fly front where the buttons and button holes, except the collar ones, are hidden behind the front of the shirt itself. So I'm going to cut a strip of material and make the piece that will fit out of sight for the button holes. This is a style that I hope Bob and crew will add to the collection of men's patterns.
Bye
Pat

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great and creative idea!!!!

Hugs,

Connie A - Princeville HI
Hat Shop 1.1update
Win XP Pro sp3 - IE 8 -
HPDJ wireless 6100 series

Posts: 101 | Location: Princeville, Hawaii (Kauai) | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THis fix is less expensive than buying another piece of material if I could find that color and type that is. Of course for a guy, I stash with the best of you and have no aversion to spending money on more fabric. Of course my wife gets mad if she catches me also.
Bye
Pat

posted Hide Post
Oh, thank, you...I have a shirt that needs a fix like that!

Ev Williams
williams.ev@gmail.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will definitely do pictuers of this shirt when I get it finished either tonight or tomorrow. I will put the pictures on my web site and then put a notice here that they are up.
Bye
Pat

posted Hide Post
I used to press those types of shirts, in the dry cleaners I worked for years ago. If you have enough fabric left over,my theory is to sew the front placket section, to the right side of the garment,then fold in wards to the wrong side,of course you interface it, and make your buttonholes first,then fold in a 1/4" and sew it down so that there are stitches showing on the front of the shirt.At least I think thats the way its done,I think it was referred to as hidden placket buttonholes.I almost did that when i messed up my buttonholes in my last blouse,and did more work in cut work to hide the botched ones.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actualy what I did was put the piece on the inside of the shirt so that all that shows on the outside is a line of top stitching. I'm putting the buttons on now so I should have pictures up later today.
Bye
Pat

posted Hide Post
I finished the shirt and have posted a pictue on my web page at:

http://www.finitesite.com/mrconlon

Bye
Pat

posted Hide Post
Very nice job Pat! i like it love the colour too mauve.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the shirt Mr Pat. Thanks so much for sharing a picture with us. Very nice job!

Hugs,

Connie A - Princeville HI
Hat Shop 1.1update
Win XP Pro sp3 - IE 8 -
HPDJ wireless 6100 series

Posts: 101 | Location: Princeville, Hawaii (Kauai) | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post