Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Dart Clarification and drafting questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dart Clarification and drafting questions
 Login/Join

posted
1. I am drafting tops for my granddaughters with an updated chart. They both measure 23 5/8" for bust. The oldest has a 21 1/2" waist. The youngest a 21" waist. The youngest is now getting a small side seam dart. That's because of the difference between the waist and bust , right. ???? Both tops fit just fine. Actually, the best yet.

I've been playing with the standards and wizard in MPD and comparing the results to my daughters chart and it has prompted a couple of hypothetical questions.
1. If the floor to waist measurements are too long or short would that effect the length of full length skirts? How does a mini skirt get it's length?
2. If the floor to hip measurement is too high or low would that effect the length of tops drafted to hip length?

Thanks,
Elsa

Posts: 70 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. I am drafting tops for my granddaughters with an updated chart. They both measure 23 5/8" for bust. The oldest has a 21 1/2" waist. The youngest a 21" waist. The youngest is now getting a small side seam dart. That's because of the difference between the waist and bust , right. ???? Both tops fit just fine. Actually, the best yet.

Not sure if you are working from standards, wizard, or full chart. The answer varies a little for each. So, here is info and you'll have to decide which is relevant:

1. Side bust dart size is based on the difference between high bust and bust front. Waist is not involved. You can have a large bust AND a large waist and you will get side bust dart, but small or no waist darts.

2. When you choose size options, you get some default side bust dart size, but the bra cup setting can change that to whatever you need if the default is not right.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Posted 11 February 2006 09:13 AM

I've been playing with the standards and wizard in MPD and comparing the results to my daughters chart and it has prompted a couple of hypothetical questions.
Q: 1. If the floor to waist measurements are too long or short would that effect the length of full length skirts? How does a mini skirt get it's length?

A: Yes it might.
You can also set the skirt length from the floor. Using a yard stick with 0 on the floor mark the height of the finished hem and enter that in hem height.

Q: 2. If the floor to hip measurement is too high or low would that effect the length of tops drafted to hip length?

A: Yes.the standard hip length garments will end where the hip is placed.
You can adjust garment length with a plus or minus in the length setting.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. If the floor to waist measurements are too long or short would that effect the length of full length skirts? How does a mini skirt get it's length?

All skirt and dress lengths are based on the difference between Floor To Waist (FTW) and some other Floor To Something. So, if Ankle length is FTW minus Floor To Ankle. Knee Length is FTW minus Floor To Knee.

Mini is one half of the way from waist to knee. Micro is one third of the way from waist to knee.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
quote:
2. If the floor to hip measurement is too high or low would that effect the length of tops drafted to hip length?

Yes.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob and Kaaren!
Elsa

Posts: 70 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post