New
Find
Notify
Tools

measurement help
 Login/Join

posted
Hi
How might I go about finding a professional to take measurements for me. I live in Reno NV.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
KEL

Posts: 4 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kel:
Hi
How might I go about finding a professional to take measurements for me. I live in Reno NV.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
KEL
Did you look on the DS user list here? just scroll down, and see if someone lives in that area.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank so much, I really appreciate your speedy reply. Now, if I can impose on you again. Could you recommend a good BASIC sewing book?...or are they pretty much all the same? I'm a real newbie at this, but excited to get started.
Thanks again,
KEL

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank so much, I really appreciate your speedy reply. Now, if I can impose on you again. Could you recommend a good BASIC sewing book?...or are they pretty much all the same? I'm a real newbie at this, but excited to get started.
Thanks again,
KEL
Hi Kel singer has good books,along with many to choose from in the libraries,also you may want to check out Threads magazine site.tauntonpress.com you can even watch video how to's on there with real player or quicktime.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many excellent books available, many at your local library and from used ( cheap) book sources such as abe.com ( no affilition)

Vogue Sewing, the Singer series of books, even an older Butterick Sewing all have value. Chain fabric stores often have books piled on a discount table.

Dont overlook two FREE offers one is under Help>Help Index where you will find many construction articles and the other is Help> On the web>sewing links where you will find an entire library of articles from colleges, universities, sewing magazines, authors and web sites many of these articles have graphics or VIDEOS.

Local jr colleges offer courses in many locations and theres gobs of videos on the market from folks like Islander.com, Sandra Bettzina,Susan Khalje, Nancy Zieman and Shirley Adams(retired but her videos arent at all obsolete!) and others. Local PBS stations often have how to shows early Saturday monrings- check your local listings. The shows are often available as video options for a price. Sometimes these videos are available at local thrift shops and yard sales so keep a look out. and of course there's Ebay.

Check to see is ASG ( American sewing guild) ASG.org has a group near you- they often maintain a lending library of books and tapes, plus their neighborhood groups are great fun and offer loads of helpful advice.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks, I'll try the library (can't beat the price) and the web-based threads magazineis very helpful, thanks for the suggestion
kel

quote:
Originally posted by Llantrisant:
quote:
Thanks again,
KEL
Hi Kel singer has good books,along with many to choose from in the libraries,also you may want to check out Threads magazine site.tauntonpress.com you can even watch video how to's on there with real player or quicktime.

posted Hide Post
THANKS!
this gives me so many options,I should be up and running in no time.
Kel

quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
There are many excellent books available, many at your local library and from used ( cheap) book sources such as abe.com ( no affilition)

Vogue Sewing, the Singer series of books, even an older Butterick Sewing all have value. Chain fabric stores often have books piled on a discount table.

Dont overlook two FREE offers one is under Help>Help Index where you will find many construction articles and the other is Help> On the web>sewing links where you will find an entire library of articles from colleges, universities, sewing magazines, authors and web sites many of these articles have graphics or VIDEOS.

Local jr colleges offer courses in many locations and theres gobs of videos on the market from folks like Islander.com, Sandra Bettzina,Susan Khalje, Nancy Zieman and Shirley Adams(retired but her videos arent at all obsolete!) and others. Local PBS stations often have how to shows early Saturday monrings- check your local listings. The shows are often available as video options for a price. Sometimes these videos are available at local thrift shops and yard sales so keep a look out. and of course there's Ebay.

Check to see is ASG ( American sewing guild) ASG.org has a group near you- they often maintain a lending library of books and tapes, plus their neighborhood groups are great fun and offer loads of helpful advice.

Kaaren