Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is better?
 Login/Join

posted
I have never used any tailorinmg software programs before. I've done it the old way with fingers and hands. I'd like to try though, especially since I'm kind of a techie. I've always been a Mac user but I had to get a Windows Vista laptop to run my embroidery software so now is the time. I looked at the ads for both Dress Shop and MPD and it looks like they do much of the same thing. Which is better for an experienced seamstress new to computer drafting? I'm downloading the demos but without full function it will be hard to tell. I'll cross post this on the other forum as well. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue,
HI, for a tailored jacket MPD has lots more designs and options Happy Easter
laurra MPD PRO & DS

Posts: 104 | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity_blue:
I have never used any tailorinmg software programs before. I've done it the old way with fingers and hands. I'd like to try though, especially since I'm kind of a techie. I've always been a Mac user but I had to get a Windows Vista laptop to run my embroidery software so now is the time. I looked at the ads for both Dress Shop and MPD and it looks like they do much of the same thing. Which is better for an experienced seamstress new to computer drafting? I'm downloading the demos but without full function it will be hard to tell. I'll cross post this on the other forum as well. Thanks.

I own both and there is a history behind all this that the newbie may not know about. DS was the original program and with that you purchased tools and patterns and/or collections separately. Once you purchased a collection it was yours forever, you can change measurements, options, whatever...it will always be yours to use any way you see fit.

There was upheaval at the corporate level which left a very bad taste in the mouth of many so a "new and improved" program was developed called MPD. The only different in the drafting portion of MPD versus DS that I can see...and I could be wrong on this and if I am I am sure someone will jump in and correct me...is the way the pants draft...MPD seems to have a better handle on it.

Now in MPD you get all the tools but you must buy each pattern separately with a "credit". They call this cherry picking. The patterns in MPD seem somewhat limited compared to DS but MPD is a relatively new program and from what I am reading, working to catch up pattern-wise.

If I were just starting out and had to make the choice as you do, I would chose MPD because it is the newest program and the support is going to be better for it, although suppport for DS has continued although many thought it would not once MPD came out.

Whichever program you chose, you MUST have accurate measurements and be prepared for some tweaking and a pretty steep learning curve...just a fact of life.

Good luck to you and I hope I have answered at least some of your questions.

Dress Shop-7 Pro and MPD Pro Stand Alone

Posts: 208 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only different in the drafting portion of MPD versus DS that I can see...and I could be wrong on this and if I am I am sure someone will jump in and correct me...is the way the pants draft...MPD seems to have a better handle on it.

Now in MPD you get all the tools but you must buy each pattern separately with a "credit". They call this cherry picking. The patterns in MPD seem somewhat limited compared to DS but MPD is a relatively new program and from what I am reading, working to catch up pattern-wise.

Well let’s straighten out a few things.

We never did go public with the details of our internal issues with a single DS team member and won't now... that's private company business.

What's important for the user to know is the drafting code for MPD is very different and rather than selecting from "just" 700 total named patterns with limiting options for each you can design garments design details from any of over 100,000 patterns!

MPD allows you to select by each design element that you choose which in turn creates the entire pattern number. You may purchase one pattern at a time or entire collections as you wish- but you don't have to purchase an entire collection in order to get that one sweet pattern you really would like to have. In other words you can cherry pick a pattern and can pre- purchase 1 or a bunch of patterns or for an even better discount purchase the entire collection - your choice! Each pattern continues to have multiple options to define and refine your design with all the available tools.

An example would be a slim fit pant- which can be any length from full to shorty short, any fit level from form fit to very loose, any and all extras such as attached or detached fly’s, pockets, belt loops and etc.

The differences in the pant draft are very obvious- with totally new design details, means of computing extensions, curve breaks and even crotch shape but there’s much more new and advanced technology. The arm holes and sleeve caps are generated from a much more refined code, as well as side seams, fit and ease dialogs, darts, princess line garments, asymmetric closures and hems, length definitions and more. Even the print mechanisms are new,and much faster. The program is much faster- its not dragging a decades worth of changes around every time you select an option.

MPD is new- we released it just 2 years ago and it is based on what we have learned in the past decade about what our users need and want plus we have added 3 years of research and development refining as we progressed and extreme testing to the product.

I’ve used and worked on Dress Shop since 1996. I've created entire wardrobes for myself and family members from it- IT works! here comes the But- I've also been part of the development and design team for MPD from the start- everything I wanted in DS is now quite simply easier, more refined and faster to produce.

I have both programs on my computers and I always open MPD to draft and print my patterns!

It works ---even BETTER.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I THINK that is what I said, isn't it? As for going public...SOMEONE did...anyway it was common knowledge before long but better left where it is...sorry I brought it up, I guess my taste buds still "twinge" a little, but I apologize since I really don't know what I am talking about...should have left that out entirely. Sorry...

Dress Shop-7 Pro and MPD Pro Stand Alone

Posts: 208 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michelle,

No, no, everyone has their own opinion & this is what made MPD even better. Everyone striving to hold onto what's good out here. I'm sure no one sees the need for you to apologize. We've all moved on, hopefully. Smiler

Don't know what I would have done without DS & MPD with my imperfect/vertically challenged body as many of us have. I do remember Kaaren telling us we are all unique & like snowflakes...no two alike. So I know that DS & MPD works for me & many others. Hopefully you also. Smiler

Gentle Hugs,
Bobbieann in N. E. Georgia

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michelle if we didn't have this discussion list, we'd all be lost for help and advice,do not feel badly asking questions! thats what were all here for is to learn.
Snowflakes we all are for sure. Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post