Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wishes
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
updates are cumulative.so every update from 605 to 614 all sits in 614....
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If its Named....the Nancy, Audrey, Fab Tunic, Weskit, princess disappearing into pleat, low rise slim fit capri...with one or more adjectives its a design.

If Mia has a mess of selection "regions" showing its likely to be a silhouette.if some regions are missing its a design.
quote:

Oh fiddle I don't think I did the quotes. right. Smiler

Thanks Kaaren, that does help.

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Arizona Kathy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
updates are cumulative.so every update from 605 to 614 all sits in 614....
Kaaren

I'm unable to get page 2 of this thread. Kaaren, you refer to 6.14 in this quote, am I missing something? Had 6.14 been released. I just downloaded 6.13 this am... only 90 minutes on dial-up... not too bad

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by June Cappola:
Smiler Let's smile and take a look at Dress Shop over the years. I've been an owner since 2.0. The product today is so far beyond what we could even imagine back then, beyond our wildest dreams. When did this happen? Why did it happen? Because of BOB! When he came on board things changed for the better and they changed FAST!

Tools we never even thought of appeared and this product became FUN! "So much to create, so little time", we said as we worked all day at our jobs and then stayed up til midnight playing with the program and dreaming up new creations. And the fun stuff keeps appearing!

Is the program perfect? No. Do we have some frustrations? Yes. Would we go back to 2.0? No Way! Enough said.
June

Well said, June!

I would like to add one thing -

Thank you to Bob and the rest of the staff for a wonderful program!

This is the only software company I know of that actually listens and responds to what users want.

We know it isn't perfect, but it sure does beat starting with commercial patterns!

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with you continuing to make new products to sell, but you should also be fixing problems, for free, at the same time. And I think you should keep the two separate. In my opinion it was a bad idea to integrate fixes and new products into the same downloads. If you kept them separate, and made it so that we could remove any update or new product we didn't like, there would probably be fewer complaints.

I like DressShop and I want it to survive and grow but asking your users to pay for fixes just won't fly.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Posts: 2 | Location: carolyn.medley@gmail.com | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look, to all the cheerleaders and the wine experts:

I think you should continue to offer new product, nobody thinks you should stop. But you constantly have crap in the current product that doesent work. I know you realize this because you list them with every update. Just stop lumping everything together and allow users to unstall anything that they install the crappie parts without scraping the program. When I update XP, I dont HAVE to take the new products and change my settings I'm perfectly happy with every time. Its a bad call to intergrate fixes and new products into the same downloads. Keep them seperate maybe you'll have fewer complaints. As for paying for service and updates, I don't mind paying for things that work, as they should. So when you are ready to fix what I've already paid for, Ill be happy to share my money. But don't try and act as if you've done any of us a favor by allowing us to part with our hard earned cash!

Andrea Lepley
Page Long
Autumn Brooke Fine Dressmaking
abdressmaking@sbcglobal.net
DS Pro, Fit Tool, FD 1&2, essential lingerie, Princess Tool

Posts: 8 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6.13 is the latest.. i jumped forward one.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kaaren

I have been staying out of this debate as I'm not an experienced user, but the Wish for classes is something that struck a chord with me and I've a few, very general, suggestions and ideas.

I understand that you generously offer the classes for no cost, which means that those who may be struggling with their DS, have a route to use to get to grips with it. I should also hold up my hand here and admit that I have not tried your classes as, with the time difference, one set is definitely not feasible, it is in the middle of the night, and the other ones - drat, by the time I've worked it out I've fogotten about it anyway Big Grin.

But, a very general thought to add in is that I believe that we often do not value what we can get for free as much as something paid for.

Internet classes seem to be very much an up and coming trend. I don't know how much time you have to surf around other sites, probably not very much from the sound of things Smiler. Pattern Review and another site umm, can't remember name Roll Eyes, is it Sewzine? offer classes in specific techniques. I think they consist of downloadable chunks of lesson, with agreed "live" time for chat and advice between all students and tutor. Both sets seem to run slightly differently. I plan to ask for lessons for Christmas and birthday this year, can't ask for more fabric without asking for an extension to the house too Wink

This may not be a direction that you, or DS, wish to take, but perhaps paid classes might be worth looking into? Specific techniques, using DS's fit and pattern abilities, might be popular. This would not be, say, how to make measuring work; this is something that could be seen as an essential add-on of classes to make the product work for the buyer.

But something like a bra class, where you are teaching how to use your DS pattern in conjunction with the straps, lace, elastic that is out there, or maybe a jacket class, which combines "snob fit" from DS with expert advice on linings, interfacing, top stitching tips, should not be free, nor should it be put on for a nominal sum that would make a loss.

Once written, classes could of course repeat regularly, which, speaking as a quilting teacher, is where things start to get better. The hours put in to preparing a class, the samples, the photos, etc cannot always be recovered in one running of the class, but each time it repeats, you have less to prepare ahead.

This is just a suggestion, as well as a "me too" for project style classes. I suppose you now need to know who, if anyone, feels the same - and if so, how much they would be prepared to pay for classesBig Grin

So, DS users, what do you think...

quote:
Classes are a great idea.
I promised a bra class before I left nevada last spring.and havent had the time to put it together.

I dotn charge for classes.we did the robe and a jacket in class projects with relatively few takers considering our total numbers.

It was free.

once I get settled again.depending on my work sched we will sart another class project.

Which has always included class notes in pdf .

A reminder that the Sunday chat is always different from the "newbie classes" which are a prescribed set of classes repeated over and over in order... to get new users started.

Also there are a ton of helpful how to articles in both help>help index and and Help>on the web>sewing links.

This library grows all the time...Ive just submitted a batch of articles that will eb released in the enxt couple months.

Some are by me, some by users, in oru own Help Index and the link sites on the web are by colleges, univerisities, sewing magazine authors, and more...thre link sites all are public sites; we have organized them into an index so you can select and link on line for yoru convenience.Kaaren

Posts: 35 | Location: UK | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your post.

Yes, I agree when you pay for soemthing it has more percieved value.

The newbie classes are How to USE Dress Shop and while others have made a GOOD living of Dumbies Guides to windows, or paint shop pro or whatever..I have always felt this was a service to users and should not be fee based.

which is why I spend my time, energy and expense to support a class room and prepare the classes.

I also agree that each class should be put in a downloadable file or article for self study.

My granddaughter just acquired the full suite of programs and shes very very interested.

Im leavign town for 8 mmonths.which is a strong nmotivator for me to finish this project.

I do still suggest that anyone interested actually attend class when possible.

Every session brings user questions and little "side trips" whch provides that sernedipitous light bulb moment for some.

One of the major reasons Ive approach/avoided doing this is my on the fly graphics in the class room are barely acceptable BUT get the point across.

Each class is graphics rich.

They are not the quality I would like in print under my name. which would require some "animation" as the steps progress.....and Im not in a position to afford an artist's rendition.

I will work on it.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
June, right on! I still have my first DS program disks, it came with 2 floppies, a 5.5" and a 3.5", in MS DOS with only 13 measurements. I bought it from Annette at an ASG convention in Las Vegas. The copyright says 1991 but does not state a version number. This program has come a long way - it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Joan Luiz

June Cappola
Posted 30 September 2005 07:27 AM
Let's smile and take a look at Dress Shop over the years. I've been an owner since 2.0. The product today is so far beyond what we could even imagine back then, beyond our wildest dreams. When did this happen? Why did it happen? Because of BOB! When he came on board things changed for the better and they changed FAST!

Tools we never even thought of appeared and this product became FUN! "So much to create, so little time", we said as we worked all day at our jobs and then stayed up til midnight playing with the program and dreaming up new creations. And the fun stuff keeps appearing!

Is the program perfect? No. Do we have some frustrations? Yes. Would we go back to 2.0? No Way! Enough said.
June

Joan in Concord, CA
Dress Shop Educator
WinXP, Epson CX6400
Dress Shop Pro Suite and all add-ons and tools

Posts: 45 | Location: End of message | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you wait to download new updates and upgrades till the minor blips are worked out and fixed. Many updates and new goodies have a few problems, but are usually found and fixed within the first few days or weeks. Then we go back to normal'. If you monitor the lists you can usually see when the issues have been resolved and it's time to take your turn at the update. Everyone seems to be having problems with this particular update and I haven't found anything in the things I have done. I always save a copy (on transparency paper) of the basics to compare when new updates or other new items come out. That way I can tell if things have changed and I can review what is different or changed. Saves me some frustration and time.

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kaaren

Hope I've got my quotes right everyone, please bear with me if not Smiler

Yes, I agree when you pay for soemthing it has more percieved value.

The newbie classes are How to USE Dress Shop and while others have made a GOOD living of Dumbies Guides to windows, or paint shop pro or whatever..I have always felt this was a service to users and should not be fee based.

which is why I spend my time, energy and expense to support a class room and prepare the classes.

quote:
This is a real benefit to DS and I think we often forget about this. It is up to the individual to take advantage of this service
quote:

I also agree that each class should be put in a downloadable file or article for self study.
quote:
Umm, not necessarily the free classes, of course this would be great, but I was thinking that this would be more appropriate to paying classes, due to all the work involved
quote:

My granddaughter just acquired the full suite of programs and shes very very interested.

Im leavign town for 8 mmonths.which is a strong nmotivator for me to finish this project.
quote:
Yikes, as in out of touch?! Should we be panicking Eeker Big Grin
quote:

I do still suggest that anyone interested actually attend class when possible.

Every session brings user questions and little "side trips" whch provides that sernedipitous light bulb moment for some.

One of the major reasons Ive approach/avoided doing this is my on the fly graphics in the class room are barely acceptable BUT get the point across.

Each class is graphics rich.

They are not the quality I would like in print under my name. which would require some "animation" as the steps progress.....and Im not in a position to afford an artist's rendition.

I will work on it.

quote:
Yes, this is a big project and it may not be the way that you wish to develop things anyway, if you have a request base of one then it's certainly not going to be a big success Wink

Take care

Posts: 35 | Location: UK | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to clear up one thing.Im going to my winter home In Nevada.Cady lives quite close to my summer home in NY state.( 2 grandsons also live nearby)

I have 9 grandkids all together.They are spread from California to Florida and New York.

While I will be away from Cady.

Im never to far from computer or laptop..and I have to admit to be very glad to get back to my tower and large flat screen monitor and off just the laptop.

So classes will continue I just switch from Eastern time zone to Pacific time zone.

The classes in downloadable form will be produced even if it was just for ONE.(Cady) But I have a feeling it will be well worthwhile for those that can't make the class due to work/time zones and etc.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Whew!
That's good Kaaren, I was starting to worry Smiler. I thnk you were between homes when I joined the list, now I come to think of it. For those on different time zones, the downloadable classes would be most welcome, but again, as there is help provided with the programme, I would expect downloadable add-ons to cost me money, not be an expected freebie Wink

I have a link that might help for those who would like to make bras. I think I'm right that you can give the link though you could not reproduce someone else's notes, does that sound right? Anyway, this has some brilliant instructions on bra construction and fitting: http://andsewitis.net/braclass/class_start.html

HTH

quote:
Just to clear up one thing.Im going to my winter home In Nevada.Cady lives quite close to my summer home in NY state.( 2 grandsons also live nearby)

I have 9 grandkids all together.They are spread from California to Florida and New York.

While I will be away from Cady.

Im never to far from computer or laptop..and I have to admit to be very glad to get back to my tower and large flat screen monitor and off just the laptop.

So classes will continue I just switch from Eastern time zone to Pacific time zone.

The classes in downloadable form will be produced even if it was just for ONE.(Cady) But I have a feeling it will be well worthwhile for those that can't make the class due to work/time zones and etc.

Kaaren

posted Hide Post
I agree with Carolyn.

"I would rather the staff work on fixing things that don't work and adding new tools and designs than spend their time on "convenience" items"

But I don't care about designs. I'm waiting for an update to correct the program and then I will quit updating, quit following the message boards and email lists and sew with confidence. The only thing I am interested in is getting the product without bugs. I might spend money on new tools. I can't recommend it at this point.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post