Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Need help fitting pants pattern
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help fitting pants pattern
 Login/Join

posted
I have several problems with my pants pattern, but the main thing is the crotch area. My body depth measures 9 5/8, and a pattern made with that body depth gives me enough room in the rear, but leaves me with a "tent" on each thigh and a wad of fabric between my legs. A body depth of 8 seems just right for fitting smoothly around the legs and crotch, but causes a big "wedgie". I've tried playing with the center back waist dart, up to 6 inches, which helps some but not nearly enough. How can I get a smooth fit at the thighs and between the legs and still have enough room for my behind? I'm relatively flat in front and well-rounded in back. Thank you.

Donna G.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have several problems with my pants pattern, but the main thing is the crotch area. My body depth measures 9 5/8, and a pattern made with that body depth gives me enough room in the rear, but leaves me with a "tent" on each thigh and a wad of fabric between my legs. A body depth of 8 seems just right for fitting smoothly around the legs and crotch, but causes a big "wedgie". I've tried playing with the center back waist dart, up to 6 inches, which helps some but not nearly enough. How can I get a smooth fit at the thighs and between the legs and still have enough room for my behind? I'm relatively flat in front and well-rounded in back.

Just to clarify for others to answer - Donna owns Dress Shop 7, not 8.

We just spent 9 months reworking the Dress Shop pants design to deal with this type of problem as well as to development new settings to adjust the pants fit in the crotch, hip, behind, and thighs. The results are in Dress Shop 8.

I know there are things that Dress Shop 7 can do that help, but you may have tried most of those. Anyone else?

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will work for you,but what i did in such a case, to get close to a fit was as follows:- #1 Front crotch was a bit tight & resulted in thigh pull,My fix was to extend the back crotch length a tad, which enabled to push the pant forward, giving extra room in front which eliminated front thigh pulling.I added both front and back extensions together and resulted in the same amount of BD.
Then for large thigh I reduced the amount by a small number to straighten the legs,along with also reducing the inseam a tad,I played around a lot with this and did eventually get a good looking pant on screen.Next i checked the squares for ease etc,befor printing a test pant off.These steps worked for me Smilerwhether or not you get the same results is another story,as were all snowflakes in body.HTH Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Llantrisant:
I don't know if this will work for you,but what i did in such a case, to get close to a fit was as follows:- #1 Front crotch was a bit tight & resulted in thigh pull,My fix was to extend the back crotch length a tad, which enabled to push the pant forward, giving extra room in front which eliminated front thigh pulling.I added both front and back extensions together and resulted in the same amount of BD.
Then for large thigh I reduced the amount by a small number to straighten the legs,along with also reducing the inseam a tad,I played around a lot with this and did eventually get a good looking pant on screen.Next i checked the squares for ease etc,befor printing a test pant off.These steps worked for me Smilerwhether or not you get the same results is another story,as were all snowflakes in body.HTH Smiler

Thank you for your help. I think I see what you are suggesting; I'll try it. I've been tweaking this and trying that for months, and getting lots of good-looking pants on the screen, but no real, sewn pants that are actually right for me.

If I still can't get it right, I might try submitting a problem report. Silly me, I thought a problem report was just for a program that wasn't working properly, not for problems with fit. As far as I can tell, my program is working as it should, I just haven't hit the right combination of numbers yet.

I appreciate your suggestions and will keep trying.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post