Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The day after
 Login/Join

posted
The day after Christmas I promised myself I would sew- for ME.

My favorite flannel nightgown , long, short front placket, yoked to about 2 inches below the arm hole with a full fabric width pleated "skirt" and full gathered sleeves started to disintegrate.

Nights get cold in the high desert and it was long past time for new nighties.

With several pieces of really yummy 100% cotton double face flannel washed and waiting. I drafted my pattern, printed the yoke and sleeves knowing all I would need for the skirt was fabric width by 40" for each of the front and back.

By 11 am I had two really wonderful snuggly soft flannel nighties- the kind you pay over a $100us dollars for. Cost 12 bucks each.and a little over 2 1/2 hrs total.

One is white with small blue roses, the other white with tiny red rose buds and theres one more piece I havent't done yet a marbled blue and cream.......

Oh what a pleasure to clear my cutting table and lay out fabric, zip around with a rotary cutter and spend some time hearing the hum of my sewing machine and serger.No deadlines, no interruptions, just sit and sew.

I almost couldnt wait for bed time last night.
When I slid the gown over my head that sigh of comfort and anticipation was worth the couple hours of effort.

I slept so well and was so relaxed this morning I treated DH to Belgian waffles for breakfast...the good kind made of yeast and lots of eggs...topped with butter and maple syrup.

MY stash seems to be jiggling and bouncing up and down--- "pick me next!!! Im tired of sitting here waiting for you to have time to make me into something"!

Many suffer from the let down after the bright anticipation and busy ness of the holidays . Go ahead- sew something......create something beautiful or just plain practical ( and beautiful)

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite flannel nightgown , long, short front placket, yoked to about 2 inches below the arm hole with a full fabric width pleated "skirt" and full gathered sleeves started to disintegrate.

Hi Kaaren

As I sat here and read this I was waiting for some horror story that you were going to tell us. So I am sure that the word "disintegrate" must be a typo but can't figure out what word would fit in that sentence. Could you enlighten me?

Thanks. Just curious. and I am soooo jealous those nighties sound sooo comfy.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I sat here and read this I was waiting for some horror story that you were going to tell us. So I am sure that the word "disintegrate" must be a typo but can't figure out what word would fit in that sentence. Could you enlighten me?

Distintegrate works..gg after being washed every morning after its been worn whenever its been cold enough at night to warrant flannel and after having almost 2 winters of wear it wasnt a seam that gave but the flannel was getting a bit thin .I reached...it split right down the left shoulder about 5 inches.....waaah.

Now for a woman who sews, having a nightie in taters is ludicrous. I have lots of lovely batiste and silk nighties but when it is cold I want my flannels!

I ahvent sewn a stitch for me since early October.way too busy on MPD and etc..

I realy needed that sewing day and and the new flannels! 3 should hold me for this winter.(the third is ready to be cut out.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bravo the flannels! My DH wears flannel pj tops (only - he disdains the bottoms!) year-round. Since he wants long-sleeved, button-front, collarless tops, it's my task to make a lifetime supply of this otherwise-unobtainable combination. Made him two for Christmas, but got side-tracked before the buttons & buttonholes by doll clothes for DGD...but that's another happy story. Enjoy your nightgowns!

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we all tend not to make nighties for ourselves,and wear out what we have,at least I used to do this, until I aquired DS,now I intend to make more for myself in future,I have one flannel nightie, I made a few months ago in readiness for winter months here.I also got gift vouchers for our local fabric store for christmas yehaaaaaaaaaaaa!

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we all tend to think in terms of the "cool stuff", more often than the practical every day stuff.

I mean who would want to put off that special travel vest, or Holiday outfit, or soem resort wear for that winter holiday for a boring old night gown.

We put off the mundane in favor of the "special" . Then when we make the mundane the comfort food of clothing its nice to know it can be very special.

I remember beautiful nightwear that was impossible to "REST" in.it pulled below the bust or the straps were slipping off or the lace wasnt quite as nice as the lingerie fabric ( which I have tons of..) and it would tickle or scratch in the night.

My favorite non flannel nightie is a simple pull over night gown, deepish scoop neck, 2 inch wide straps no darting, flare to skirt and a vent on the side seam.in MPD #1434131 select in necklines cami neck.and in shaping change flare to what you like.I like 12 degrees.(The neck depths/width and negative shoulder extension set in a jif for a perfectly placed "strap" thats just the right width.)

The key is to know your bust depth sans foundation!

Change the chart accordingly........like many women my 10" bust depth increases without foundation.

Its amazing how that inexpensive Joanne/Hancocks cotton batiste handles and wears after a few washings.......(no ironing like the cotton version!)

a little machine embroidery ( the 10-18 minute stitch out variety) or a tiny bit of good galloon lace adds a bit of panache.

A halter top long nightie made of good lingerie fabric with a comfort fit blouse, lengthened or the fab tubic with gathered sleeves in chiffon paired makes a very nice peignoir! Trim with lace, beading or a nice chanel or YSL type chiffon rose..ohh ohhhhhhhhhhh

if you can fnd them a simple sari with one of those wonderful border prints can be styled into a fussy cut silk robe.talk about decadence and on a budget!Light as a feather and oh so yummy!

There is NOTHING like the swish of long silk with your morning coffee to a perk up the day!(and surprisingly warm in winter/cool in summer)

China silk is inepensive from sites like Supersilks.com or dharmatrading.com (under 6 bucks/yd in some cases)

so don't make them stressful tight.but think about an entire wardrobe of nightwear in silk!

You can even pick up some fabric dye(dharmatrading.com for silk -use procion dyes and read instructions) and if you have a backyard you can rig up that turkey deep fat outdoor fryer as a steaming chamber to set dyes.(microwave works with care!)

For 2006.Let your imagination out to play!

Have fun!
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention: doll clothes for DGD included a flannel nightgown to match DH's pajama tops; did wonders at helping get the 5-year-old resigned to going to bed!

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brilliant Marj........
K

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Well, Kaaren, you have given me more ideas, of which I already have an abundance.

I am one who makes ordinary as well as special garments with DS.

All of my sleepwear comes from DS, from roomy tees to feminine gowns. I want to make a new gown, but I think I will wait a while because I really don't need anything more for our short winter. Spring weather comes early here in central TX (March). I'm not crazy about flannel, but prefer a soft knit for winter. Maybe I'll try silk for summer.

I also make most of the sleepwear for my grandkids.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post