Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Problem with 7.1 download
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with 7.1 download
 Login/Join

posted
I down loaded the new 7.1 version and now Mia and a small piece of the screen are all that are visable. I didn't have that problem with version 7. I don't have Vista. I couldn't send in a help report because the screen is so small I can't get to it. I'm using XP

Posts: 152 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the patch to compensate for the changes to IE may have gotten over written somehow.

One other user reported this and Bob replied with a list of things you might try. On the BBS within the last 24 hours under Dress Shop Topics. She got it working and posted what she did.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
One other user reported this and Bob replied with a list of things you might try. On the BBS within the last 24 hours under Dress Shop Topics. She got it working and posted what she did.

I just re-read Laura's response about her experience with this and I believe she implied that she reverted to version 7.0 and is not now actually using the latest update. If that is the case, then it is not actually a fix, just a reversion to the last product version. I've forwarded the concern to Craig, the programmer that handles install and compatibility issues and hope he can tell us what is going on. I know that a number of customers have installed the update without the problem, so there must be some combination of IE and Dress Shop installations that is significant. Until we know what it is, if you have this problem, you should back up one build until we have a correction.

To back up, the easiest way is to re-install the 7.0 update. If you still have that file on your system (it would be named DS7_Update.exe), just run it and it will replace the files needed for that version. If you do not still have that file hanging around, you can download it from the Livingsoft downloads page. I added a button to get the prior update (version 7.0).

This may not be needed and certainly not by most customers. But, for anyone that gets a small, unusable screen, back up a version until we find out why and let you know.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I downloaded the 7.0 version to reinstall as the 7.1 version only gave me a little screen. It still says ver 7.1 and I still have a little screen. HOpe this might give you some more info in looking for the problem.

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I downloaded the 7.0 version to reinstall as the 7.1 version only gave me a little screen. It still says ver 7.1 and I still have a little screen. HOpe this might give you some more info in looking for the problem.

Well, I thought that would help. Since I am not seeing the problem on my system, I could not test it myself and I have not heard back from Craig. I just reinstalled the DS7 update and had the same effect - the version does not revert to an earlier one. It appears to be an issue with InstallShield not copying files that have older dates.

So, I tried two other approaches. Again, since I am not getting the small screen, I cannot tell if either will solve that problem. But, you could try if you like. Or, wait for someone more knowledgable (Craig) to get back to us.

I tried:

1. Install the patch that was put on the Livingsoft downloads site to fix the screen size problem before. I tried it. It installs and you have a mostly DS7 version, but when you run it, you will still see DS7.01. But, the Winter 2008 patterns will not be in the menus. And, hopefully, the screen will be big enough to use again.

2. Uninstall update DS7.01, then re-install update 7.0. If you have both install files, you can run them. With the DS 7.01 update, select "Remove" when InstallShield gives you the options. Then, with the DS7 update, select "Repair". Again, I tried it, but could see no change in my screen size at all. And, again, I am still seeing the version 7.01 when I rerun, even though the Winter 2008 files are not there.

If either of these work, let us know and I'll post a patch fix. Or wait till we hear from Craig so you don't waste your time. I'm sorry that I don't know anything about this problem myself, nor can I get it to happen on my system.

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not at home so I can't try this yet but I did want to mention that I am using IE6 not 7. I hadn't had any problem with the size of the screen with 7.0 version.

posted Hide Post
Now I have a terrible mess. I uninstalled version 7.1 I reinstalled 7.0 Now none of my desk top short cuts work nor can I even get to DS through the main menu. I need intensive help if some one can help me.

<LivingSoft Support>
posted
Hi Elaine,

I am contacting you directly.

Warmest regards,
PeggySue Moellman
LivingsoftNW Tech Support

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine Lesko:
I down loaded the new 7.1 version and now Mia and a small piece of the screen are all that are visable. I didn't have that problem with version 7. I don't have Vista. I couldn't send in a help report because the screen is so small I can't get to it. I'm using XP

First, anyone that is not experiencing the symptom that Elaine described here, you do not need to uninstall or reinstall anything.

For anyone that did have that problem, though, we did do a change to the installer program for the update that should force the window it runs in to always open maximized (full screen sized). The Dress Shop 7.01 update was refreshed with that change and anyone that needs it can download it and reinstall it. IF you have the previous update installed AND are getting the small window when running Dress Shop, you should uninstall that update first before installing this new version.

We hope this revised download will eliminate the small window problem for anyone that was having it.

posted Hide Post
I have similar problem, is there any progress with the solution?
I downloaded and installed tody the DS7.01 update. Can see Mia part of the menu bar, and some of the screen in a window about 1/4 of my PC display screen. I can scroll the scrfeen content but cannot enlarge the window.

Christine in Melbourne, Australia
Before the update I had-
DS7.0Std, Illusions, Fit Tool, Essential Activewear, #1019, #1046. Win98 2ndEd, IE6.0, Epson Stylus CX5900.

Posts: 11 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 14 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have similar problem, is there any progress with the solution?
I downloaded and installed tody the DS7.01 update. Can see Mia part of the menu bar, and some of the screen in a window about 1/4 of my PC display screen. I can scroll the scrfeen content but cannot enlarge the window.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner on this, but I have not been getting email notifications of the forum posts lately. Another minor mystery to track down.... ;-)

Another suggestion we have had from a customer that had success with it might help. If you find the shortcut icon to launch Dress Shop from your desktop, right click on it, select Properties, select the "Shortcut" tab. There is a list box labeled "Run:" that defaults to "Normal Window". Change that to "Maximized". This corrected the problem for one customer that was having it.

If it helps, please post here so we know what to tell others. Hope that helps...

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob, but that did not help me. I have submitted a problem report directly.
Christine

Posts: 11 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 14 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Bob, but that did not help me. I have submitted a problem report directly.

Well, that's not what I was hoping to hear. Obiviously....

BTW, A problem report will not help wtih this type of problem. In-program Problem Reports provide measurement information and pattern selection information that we can use to track down specific pattern drafting problems. Unfortunately, this particular problem involves installation issues, hardware, operating systems, and Internet Explorer. Something about how all of those work together is producing less than a full screen window for a small number of customers. We have no systems at Livingsoft that display the problem and most customers do not have it. So, the question becomes: "What exactly is different about the 7 or 8 systems that fail from the thousands that do not?"

At this point, we still do not know. We are building a new update today, combining the patch file from a year ago (that apparently did correct the problem at that time), with the latest update (which we fear may not have included whatever it was in that prior patch that corrected the problem). If we can merge last year's fix with this year's latest update, perhaps that will do the job.

There is another update coming today anyway, with the changes to Dress Shop that are needed to make pattern export to MPD work. We will merge the new changes with the latest update plus last year's patch... (ugh), get that posted and hopefully it will put this issue behind us all.

I hope that those of you that have been experiencing the problem with less-than-full-screen Dress Shop windows will take some time this week, try this new update, and let us all know what happens. IF it does not work for you, please tell us everything you can about your operating system (which version of Windows you are running with which update? You can get that information by right-clicking on your "My Computer" icon and selecting "Properties". We also might need to know which version and update of Internet Explorer is on your computer. To find that, run IE and select "Help - About Internet Explorer".

I wish we knew what combination of all these bits and pieces was relevant, but we just do not. Hopefully, the new update will just work and we will not have to really figure out which bit was at fault.

More about this as soon as we have the update posted....

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have posted a new Dress Shop update today. It includes improved support for exporting patterns to My Pattern Designer. But, it also includes another effort to resolve the small window issue that some customers have had recently. We have not yet heard back from anyone as to whether this new update helps. So, if you have had the problem where Dress Shop opens in a small window (too small to use), please try the new update version 7.02 and let us know if it helps any. We just have too little concrete information to be certain if the changes we have tried will be enough.

posted Hide Post
I have just downloaded the 7.2 update and now have the small window problem. I didn't download the 7.1.I am running Windows XP. Peggym

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post