Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewing Lessons
 Login/Join

posted
I'm want to start to teaching sewing classes at church. I intended to teach the girls but some of the women have asked. That makes me a little nervous! Roll Eyes

Anyway I need suggestions.... I was thinking about starting with pillowcases.

And does anyone know any good books?

Thanks,
Carol

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you,Pillow cases are easy enough to make,depends what embellishments you want,but perhaps theres a website google it,then you can give printed hand outs, to the folks in your church during a class.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on why the women and girls want to sew - do they want decorative items or clothing? Pillow cases are OK for the former - but if the impetus is clothing, how about gathered skirts with elasticized waists? Couple of measurements and a few techniques and your students have garments to show off and inspire more sewing.

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Carol, I have found my sewing students want to make something they can use and show off. These arent kids who will wear aprons and the fussy stuff we made in school.

A shopping/grocery bag which can also be used as a beach bag and is very simple is a good first time project. With the fabric sqaures(18 by 18 or 24 by 24") cut I have the student use a contrast thread color to sew a box outline a couple inches in from the edge so the seam allowances dont interfer. Inside the box I have them do a circle and then some curlicues to give them some practice on sewing a straight line, inside and outside curves.They may change thread colors so they have practice winding bobbins and threading the machine. I draw these out on paper , print off multiple copies and have them transfer the shapes using graphite paper and a tracing wheel.

Then they sew three sides to form an open box, flip the bottom and sew across the corners to create the bag bottom, hem the top and add webbing or fabric tube handles. Older students can add a bias trim, fringe, applique or even fabric paint shells/or beads to embellish.

If you have Hat Shop there are a number of bag patterns that make excellent beginner to advanced projects.

Second project would be a simple skirt with elastic waist commencing to a darted skirt for the students "ready" for darts.

I have instructions for a beach mat/bag with two seperating zippers . its a long quilted panel that can be unzipped and used as a beach mat when unfolded, refold, zip up and it carries all the junk we take to pool or beach.

Ill dig that out and post it in the whatever category or on my web page. Its for those ready to do a zipper insertion so class project 3 or 4.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! thanks everybody!!! The reason I thought of pillowcases is to get people sewing straight lines, cutting & prewashing fabric, familiarizing themselves with their machines etc, etc.

I don't particularly enjoy all the prep. I just like to sew but if you want to sew you have to do all of it (at least as far as I know Razzer)

My thought was baby steps then we'll move on. One wants to make dog beds & others want to learn how to use their machines.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And I'll use the pattern. The young girls will love the bags.

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about drawstring type backpacks? I use something similar to this design to teach kids:

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeprojects/ss/stringbackpack.htm

The only difference is that I don't use grommets. I just have the kids sew the cords into the side seams. Depending on the fabric, I may also have the kids make tubes out of their fabric and use those for straps instead of cording (skinny cording can cut into shoulders if the bag is stuffed to the top, like kids tend to do).

I WILL win the stash battle even if it means hocking the cats!

Posts: 10 | Location: Far West | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for posting this link! I've been looking for an easy pet garment pattern, it was fun to see the different pets modeling the garments and how some people added to the basic pattern. Ann

>>>FabricFreak
Posted 28 May 2007 08:47 AM
If I may:
http://sewing.circleofcrafters.com/freepetvestpattern.html
This is for a basic doggy garment, but it has a measurement picture for sizing.<<<<

Posts: 12 | Location: Wilmington, NC | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post