Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Tilted waist and other terms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tilted waist and other terms
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to ask for clarification about some fitting terms that are often used.

Tilted waist is the first one that comes to mind. I think Wink that I know what this means, but I'm not actually sure.

Round shoulders makes sense - that's when we spend too much time hunched forward over a computer/ sewing machine, right?

Now I've raised this I can't think of the other terms I wasn't sure of Big Grin, but do any other beginners need a translation? Perhaps one of the experienced sewers could help make an Idiot's Guide?

Thanks, Anne who is a bit embarrassed to admit ignorance Smiler

Posts: 35 | Location: UK | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to ask for clarification about some fitting terms that are often used.

Tilted waist is the first one that comes to mind. I think that I know what this means, but I'm not actually sure.

Dont be embarrassed, we have our own "lingo" and catch phrases and often forget that newbies may not know the terms. Thanks for bringing it up.

Tilted waists occur for a variety of reasons, a physically tilted pelvis which has rather obvious effects, scoliosis of the spine which tilts the waist in the opposite direction, a large derriere which creates a small "shelf" at waist level,or a flat dropped derriere with a full round tummy.

The shape changes the floor to waist front or back to be longer on one and shorter on the other. The most typical is a longer floor to waist back and shorter front.

For the hem to come even for those without perfect symmetry(the majority fo us!) the program actually makes a longer center back and on pants a deeper rise. The side length is what keeps things working as all three points center front- center back- and side are used in the computations.

Rounded shoulders can be due to a slightly hunched forward posture or even more significantly by a "dowagers hump" or a raised area about midline of the back below the neck. This can be a pad of fluff or the actual spine curving.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnneR:
Tilted waist is the first one that comes to mind. I think that I know what this means, but I'm not actually sure.

When a 2.5cm wide piece of elastic is pinned around the waist and the body is viewed from the side, you can determine if the waist is tilted. The waist is usually horizontal but many people have their waistband lower in the front thus the waist appears 'tilted' downwards in front from the side view. The FTW Frt (straight) is shorter than the FTW Side or FTW Back (str.).

People with a slumped posture and often older folk with a dowagers hump, can have an upward tilted waist in front. In this case the FTW Frt(str.) is longer than the FTW Back(str.).

The causes are sometimes physical or posture but often where people 'think' their waist is or because their body has been conditioned by ill fitting clothes causing a 'dent' there.

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post