Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

total confusion
 Login/Join

posted
I've just purchased DS7 and before I print my first pattern I'm seeing messages that say that this may no longer be supported and that My Pattern Designer is actually better, although it is from the same software company(?). Have I just made a $200 mistake, or are we supposed to be buying both programs? I want to be able to start with a basic pattern and customize it first to my odd body and second to my design desires. It looks like MPD requires me to buy a new pattern if I want to change the sleeves, but notes in the forums also say that it is completely revised and much better. What's reality? Thanks for any enlightenment!

Kate

Posts: 1 | Location: Apex, NC, USA | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've just purchased DS7 and before I print my first pattern I'm seeing messages that say that this may no longer be supported and that My Pattern Designer is actually better, although it is from the same software company(?). Have I just made a $200 mistake, or are we supposed to be buying both programs? I want to be able to start with a basic pattern and customize it first to my odd body and second to my design desires. It looks like MPD requires me to buy a new pattern if I want to change the sleeves, but notes in the forums also say that it is completely revised and much better. What's reality?

You appear to be creativly interpreting what you have read a bit. I have not seen any posts that suggest that Dress Shop will not be supported in the future. If you have found one somewhere, it is simply wrong.

You can buy both programs if you want as they do offer different patterns and options. But, either should prove quite adequate until you find something you want to make that only the other offers.

My Pattern Designer gets more updates. Dress Shop is less likely to change on you. Some people prefer the predictability of stability. A pattern that you love just the way it is may prove disappointing if its design is improved.

Every MPD pattern includes a variety of sleeves, available in the Options - Sleeve dialog box. There are other sleeve types available with other patterns. If you believe you need all of the choices, you can always get an Unlimited Collection, which will include every pattern of its type. Or, buy one pattern at a far lower cost than any collection and get just the pattern you want, plus the several hundred variations you can get with the added neckline choices, sleeve choices, dart choices, fit choices, etc. that are offered in the MPD Options menus. All of those options are included with every MPD pattern.

Dress Shop patterns also come with many options. It should take you quite awhile to work through what you have and find other things that you might wish to try.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post