Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    question about straight skirt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question about straight skirt
 Login/Join

posted
I printed out the straight skirt, and noticed that the front is curved, and slightly longer that the back. Is there a reason for this? I have DS Pro with all updates.

Patti

Posts: 21 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check all your floor to --- measurements and be sure they reflect your shape. Also, be aware of the way you are standing when you take these measurements. If you have a predominant tummy and a flatter bum, the flat pattern will probably be longer in the front than in the back. After verifying your measurements, make a muslin with a waistband and zipper. If everything above the hemline looks and fits great, make the hemline the way you want with a skirt marker. You know, those little things that puff powder on the skirt where you want the hem.
Kelly

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I printed out the straight skirt, and noticed that the front is curved, and slightly longer that the back. Is there a reason for this? I have DS Pro with all updates.

This may be one of the hardest things for people to udnerstand about patterns- they draft according to the numbers on the charts.

If the floor to waist Number is longer in front or back the front or back will be longer.

Of the wiast or hip split (hip or waist front versus back)for instance is bigger in front than back the front will be wider than back.

A straight side seam will result in a straight hem; an angled side seam will result in some degree of curve on the hem.

Expecting a pattern that's balanced to a commerical pattern 50/50 split with a perfectly level waist is not going to happen-if your body is not 50/50 and your waist has a tilt.

Thats a Good thing.....thats why we say "custom fit".

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I didn't make myself clear. My measurements are good, the skirt once printed a straight line hem on both front and back. The side seams are the same length both front and back, and sit properly on my body. Now the front has a curved hem in the same manner as the curved bottom of the shirt. Was this an intentional change?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I didn't make myself clear. My measurements are good, the skirt once printed a straight line hem on both front and back. The side seams are the same length both front and back, and sit properly on my body. Now the front has a curved hem in the same manner as the curved bottom of the shirt. Was this an intentional change?

Its likely that soemwhere along the line maybe a draft before the last oen you did with the skirt that the "finish" button was accidentaly clicked or stuck as "curved"

go to design.look on Mia down near the hem for finish and click Square- Flat hemline. Make sure to click redraft.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
[
Its likely that soemwhere along the line maybe a draft before the last oen you did with the skirt that the "finish" button was accidentaly clicked or stuck as "curved"

Thanks - I don't remember this feature, but it must have been added somewhere along the way. The "gently curved front" appears to be the default.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks - I don't remember this feature, but it must have been added somewhere along the way. The "gently curved front" appears to be the default.

You knwo hwo with totallya ccurate numbers you ahve to make allowances for the bulge of the bust line.......or the tops "hike" well some folks have belly's that bulge,and the front of their skirts "hike" so we added the feature for those that might need it....... it is user defined so you have choices.

I forgot about it,and the fact it's probably default.just select square- flat and you will be all set.

This is a good time to sayRed Facepen each feature/ option tool and select what you want rather than ride along on sheer defaults when you are designing. Default may be perfect or you may wish something else from a simple change of how much seam allowance you want to draft to/ to a closure type or neckline depth..it is always Your Choice.....

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com