Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piping
 Login/Join

posted
I want to use a piping around the curves on my front facing,does anyone know how to achieve the curves, without it looking like theyre rounded at the sharp angles?this is on a vest type pattern.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm envisioning your question correctly, you can "miter" the areas where your piping hits the angles. That will result in a more pointed look as opposed to curved. If you have a general sewing manual, you can check on mitering. With piping, you will need to clip away the part you've mitered out so it's not bulky. You'll also need to stop your general stitching of the piping far enough ahead of the angle to allow you to miter, or do a super-careful measuring job and miter it before stitching it on. HTH

Linda in WV

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linda thank you for the reply,yes I do want to miter the angles,the point is at the front facing, which ajoins the neckline,Ive not done this in a long time, and the last time put me off,because it looked so rounded.Trying for perfection with sewing techniques. Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Freda--I would probably try a sample first, to perfect the technique. Or you could forget the piping and go with a braid-type trim that is stitched on top of the garment. It would probably be easier to miter the corner. Sandy

Posts: 68 | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sandy,I did try to find something in my many books here,to no avail though, I am trying a sample first, its not easy to turn the corner from curved to straight[mitre].I may even change my mind on this technique if I'm not succesful.I have a few weeks to do this, ready for my birthday to wear.

posted Hide Post
Freda, you might want to look here:Wrights

I don't know if I did the link correctly but you can cut and paste.
Elsa

Posts: 70 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often use piping to finish the edge of vests. I do the point the same way I do piping for a pillow. Sew the piping to the edge, using a zipper foot and sewing on the line of stitching forming the piping. When you get to a corner or point. Clip through the flange part of the piping to within a thread or 2 of the stitching line. This releases the fabric so you can turn the corner (or point). Just make 1 clip, don't cut anything off.

Hope this makes sense.

Karen in Lancaster Co., PA

Posts: 20 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all !! for the input here,I did give up as a bad idea though,too frustrating that was lol.But Elsa the website is good, and I shall practice that next time i do some piping.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10