Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie needs help!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I'm trying to make the sloper for my niece. I want to make her a costume for her play. My sister took the measurements and some were off but I believe I have corrected them all. BUT, I can't get the shoulders correct. There is the exact room on the back. But the front comes up very short. The front bottom is even very short in length. It's about 3 to 4 inches shorter than the back. Her overall length on front and back are the same. Can anyone please tell me what my problem is.
Thanks!
Liz

Posts: 4 | Location: Indiana USA | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi all. I'm trying to make the sloper for my niece. I want to make her a costume for her play. My sister took the measurements and some were off but I believe I have corrected them all. BUT, I can't get the shoulders correct. There is the exact room on the back. But the front comes up very short. The front bottom is even very short in length. It's about 3 to 4 inches shorter than the back. Her overall length on front and back are the same. Can anyone please tell me what my problem is.

Pattern shoulder width is controlled by the Across Shoulder measurements. So, start with increasing Across Shoulder Front a bit.

I'm not clear what you mean by "the front bottom is very short". Are you looking at a blouse pattern, pants, skirt, or a gown of some sort? Pants length is controlled by the Floor-To-Waist measurements. The blouse center front length comes from Full Length Front. A gown uses both of those.

Hope that covers your case, but if not, tell us more about which pattern you are looking at and whether it is the length at side or center you are concerned with...

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi I don't mean the width. I wish I could draw a picture here! If you take a blouse and hold it up by the shoulders, the front of her blouse is about 4 inches shorter than the back. And the back fits under her armpits. The front doesn't. Its tight and pulling way up. It's pretty obvious that the back arm opening and the front arm opening are very different. If I need to I can get my camera and take a photo? And try to put it up here.

Posts: 4 | Location: Indiana USA | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I forgot to mention in case it matters. This is for a teenager about a size 2 and 5ft 6 inches tall.

posted Hide Post
For a costume you may be better off using the emasurement wizard and enter 5 measurements.

If this was for a bridal party outfit you mayw ish to use a more complete chart- but this should come close enough.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi And Thanks! I put in size 4! under misses rtw and added front and back waist and hips and bust. I'm amazed it adjusted a few others! Oh I had to make her a bit taller! But this front already looks like its going to fit!