Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neckline finishes
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know the best way to finish the facings, on knit scoop or square neckline?I have zig zagged, the facings down in the past,but I thought I read someplace a neater way of doing those facings.Other than bias.
..........I just found some different ways on tauntonpress website .ESP or what GGG

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Llantrisant,

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Reba,
You really do not need a facing for knits .What I do is sew the clear elastic to the edge of the neck line using a 3-step zig -zag When I apply it I sew with the clear elasic next to the feed dogs and the fabric on top. After you have stabalized the edge You have the option of binding or simply turn under and top stich.This method is pretty easy and works for me. Do you have any new blouses up in the club pages laura

Posts: 104 | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Laurra.Thanks I shall try that next time,I just dislike the inside showing on necklines..........Freda Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great tip about the clear elastic. What ratio of elastic do you use for the neck line. For example 2 inche shorter like ribbing or 1 to one.
Thanks
Elaine

Posts: 152 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just not "seeing" this - could someone take me through it step by step? I've avoided sewing with knits, because the few attempts I've made the neck has been a disaster.

Do I have this right - you sew clear elastic to the wrong side, then turn under and stitch?

I have some lovely pieces of knit that I bought in an ambitious frame of mind, and I'd love to try some simple tshirts.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recent knit tops- I did a bias strip for the neck as a binding,sewn to the right side of the garment, with a loose tension,turned it over and zig zagged it down,[top stitch] as seen on the club, its the pink one.I'm looking for a neater way to finish the necks. I tried stitch in the ditch but wasn't happy with that look at all.Clear elastic! would that not gather the neck?or is it more to stabilize it?.........Freda

posted Hide Post
On Cotton Interlocks-you could turn the seam allowance under, stitch slowly and neatly with a STRETCH stitch about 1/4 inch from finish edge .(the one that looks like three paralel lines on machines that have it), then trim off about a 1/4 inch of excess seam allowance....its neat fast and easy and holds up well though multiple launderings...it so simple I call it my cheater finish.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite a few suggestions you guys are great here.That sounds good too Kaaren I must do a practice bit on scraps.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by judith:
I'm just not "seeing" this - could someone take me through it step by step? I've avoided sewing with knits, because the few attempts I've made the neck has been a disaster.

Do I have this right - you sew clear elastic to the wrong side, then turn under and stitch?

I have some lovely pieces of knit that I bought in an ambitious frame of mind, and I'd love to try some simple tshirts.
I had the same problems too, when I first began with knits,but i had a serger book, that showed how to do the seams on panties,yes sew to the wrong side of garment, then fold down, so that the elastic is hidden on the wrong side.Encasing it........Freda

<Marilyn in Brisbane>
posted
Hi

I normally add ribbing around the neckline. If you don't have ribbing, you can use a strip of your fashion knit fabric cut across the width - so it has maximum stretch. Cut a band 2" wide. Measure around the neck of the garment. Cut the band about 3/4 that length (if fabric is very stretchy you can cut the band shorter, if less stretch, cut it a bit longer). 20" neck, cut band about 15"-16" long. Sew ends of band together to form a circle and fold in half lengthwise wrong sides together, right side out. Pin band to right side of garment neck at CB and CF and quarters. If neck is circular, stretch should be distributed evenly around the neck. If it is U shape, adjust ease slightly so there is less stretch in the straight side front areas and more stretch at the bottom of the U and across the back neck in the curved areas. Sew band to neck with 1/4" seam (or serge). You get a self fabric band at the neck about 3/4 wide that should lay flat. If the garment gathers onto the band, you have stretched the band too much - if the band won't lay flat and has a loose edge, the band needs to be stretched a bit more. You may need to experiment a bit with your fabric to get the correct amount of stretch. Be gentle with the garment so you don't stretch the neck out of shape. When done, you can topstitch the seam allowance to the garment.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Marilyn in Brisbane>
posted
You can also use a strip of self fabric cut across the width instead of bias to make a binding or chanel finish.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually bind my knit necklines and armholes if it is sleeveless using Ann Person's method. There are detailed instructions in her book "Necklines Made Easy" on pages 46 and 47. Don't know if it is still in print or no. If you have a Stretch & Sew dealer they might know where to get a copy. Lots of necklines and great instructions.

You use the same fabric cut on the cross grain (the direction of the most stretch) and apply right sides together using a seam allowance just slightly less than you want the finished binding. She puts the binding seam in the back using an angled seam, 45 degrees or like cut on the bias. after the binding is sewn on all but 5 to 6" of the back neckline.

When sewing the binding on you stretch the binding just until it starts to "cup" around you finger. This makes the binding smaller on the outside edge so it will lay flat. Make sure you do the same tension on the back neck too.

Turn to the inside, finger press in place and pin. Then stitch in the ditch using a joining foot to help push the binding out of the way.

Joan in Concord, CA
Dress Shop Educator
WinXP, Epson CX6400
Dress Shop Pro Suite and all add-ons and tools

Posts: 45 | Location: End of message | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add you trim the excess binding with applique scissors close to the inside stitching line. It is a knit and doesn't ravel.

Joan in Concord, CA
Dress Shop Educator
WinXP, Epson CX6400
Dress Shop Pro Suite and all add-ons and tools

Posts: 45 | Location: End of message | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the new Threads magazine? There is an article about this very thing.

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kelly indeed I have. I visit threads a lot.I guess Im looking to finish my T's in a perfect manner GGGG.Picky or what. Smiler