Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

material question
 Login/Join

posted
Even though I haven't tweeked my 3rd soper , I'm going to make a nightgown , I figure I can't screw that up too bad and I'm dying to make something. Here's the question : I sent in a problem reportregarding the layout tool ) which Bob is working on , but I need to know this ~~~~~~ I'm going to make the empire nightgown, at midi length with the circle skirt, it appears that the skirt part doesn't fit either the 45 inch material , nor the 60 inch material. It's been so long since I've sewn I don't know how to handle that. The pattern shows only one piece for the skirt and it's labeled "front skirt". Do I cut 2 of these pieces or is this the only piece I need and it will fit all the way around my chubby little rump ????

Posts: 26 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you can cut that front on the fold with a 45" fabric,the skirt section is slightly gathered onto the blouse section.Hope this is helpling you there.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do I cut 2 of these ?

posted Hide Post
print 1 cut 2
put your grid on, print a 1/4 scale measure around the waist line- multiply by 4.

You can cut two lengths as needed stack Lay out as if it was a single lay with the long line going vertical. (The widest width is most likely less than 42 wide.- which is the length of the skirt chosen . This skirt takes a LOT if fabric.

to conserve fabric try a flared skirt

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even though I haven't tweeked my 3rd soper , I'm going to make a nightgown , I figure I can't screw that up too bad and I'm dying to make something. Here's the question : I sent in a problem reportregarding the layout tool ) which Bob is working on , but I need to know this ~~~~~~ I'm going to make the empire nightgown, at midi length with the circle skirt, it appears that the skirt part doesn't fit either the 45 inch material , nor the 60 inch material. It's been so long since I've sewn I don't know how to handle that.

There are options on Mia for "Skirt Type" that let you choose how many seams your circle skirt will have. More seams = smaller pieces....

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you sooo much Bob , that certainly will make things easier!
Another question? How do I lay this skirt piece out, there's no arrow on the pattern piece to show grainline ( gads , has it been that long since I've sewn ?)?

posted Hide Post
The grainline shows on the printed pattern.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grain is up center

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cathy, smart idea to make something now, gives you some feel-good sewing during the measurement tweaking stage. But are you sure you want all that fabric in a nightgown? Will you still be able to sleep in it?

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, I dunno , I tend to like my nightgowns big and roomy , is this too big ?

posted Hide Post
Cathy I made an empire nightgown for myself, and used the pattern for it, theres ample room in it.Just lay down the printed pattn that says front,cut out 2 of those and gather to the bodice front and back,i did a scoop neck, so there was enough room to slip it over my head.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay , thank you sooo much , it will certainly save me the hassle of all that extra fabric now won't it. I'm just itching to get something sewn, I've had the program for over a year and never got my bottom sloper done at all , and need to tweek the bodice sloper. My computer was giving me problems for so long that I finally ended up having to get a new one , and then I took forever reloading DS on the computer. So I just wanna do SOMETHING while I'm working on the sloper , ya know , just something to feel good about !!!!!

posted Hide Post
Put your grid on and count the inch box at hem fr te length you desire. The hem circumference of the circle skirt is going to be "around your legs" when sleeping. Only you can decide if thats "comfortable" or not.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all , it's so nice to have folks who kow what their doing to guide you along . I tell ya, it's been so long I think I'm brain dead !