Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Opinions About Sewing Machines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions About Sewing Machines
 Login/Join

posted
I currently have a 1988 Pfaff sewing machine that I dearly love but has unfortunately been acting up lately. I have taken it in to get fixed, but it still isn't "right". I'm not really sure, if I have to relace it, what sewing machines are a good buy. Is the Brother sewing machine offered at my local Costco a good deal or am I crazy for even thinking about buying it there? Any thoughts? Has anyone purchased taht machine and if so, what were your results like? Thanks for any input! (Yes, I'm still trying to get it fixed...I rather keep it!)

Posts: 12 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi

You would really have to give a little more information on the sewing machine. Brother makes many models. Some are really great some are not so good. Make a list of all the bells and whistles you want on the machine in priority order and then check out the machines. I "assume" the machine at costco is a bottom of the line machine but without more information who really know?I have 2 Brother machines that I love. One is a top of the line or was in 2002, sewing/embroidery machine and the other is a bottom of the line computerized sewing only machine. I bought this one mainly so I could sew while the other machine was embroidering. I bought it at Wallyworld for a little more than $300.00 about 3 years ago. Its the best little machine. It has really been put to the test on several different occassions.
I love Brother for their user friendliness.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you scroll down the list, the end section had a disscussion on this topic quite some time ago.Sewing related things its called.Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the Costco website? You would have to order it, but, there are more machines listed and the model numbers and amenities are listed. Sorry, I have no experience with these machines, but someone might be able to help you with this extra information.

Posts: 183 | Location: CA | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased another sewing machine, but you would not want it as your main machine...I paid $89.95 for it at Hancock's, it is a Janome and it sews like crazy! I tested it in the store with 20 layers of flannel and it zipped right through it. I use this little machine to take to class and school with me as it is small and lightweight, and sews like a maniac. I also have a big Janome so I knew that Janome was a good brand. Of note, I also have 2 Pfaffs, you can't beat a Pfaff, and 2 Berninas...and nothing sews like a Bernina, as they say...I recently heard that the committed sewist owns an avererage of 7 sewiing machines....I was surprised and I must say, relieved. Good luck on your search...test it out before you buy and make sure it will sew many, many layers. This little Janome still has me amazed...oh, it is the 3125 and usually retails for $129., even at that it is an amazing little workhorse. I plan to take this to my daughter in VA when I visit her...make her curtains and whatnot, and then leave it with her. Sorry to be so long-winded.

Dress Shop-7 Pro and MPD Pro Stand Alone

Posts: 208 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone for your input!! It is greatly appreciated. Smiler I went on the Costco website. It is a Brother #EX660. It has 7 automatic buttonhole styles, 60 built in stitches, the zig zag width goes up to 7 mm, weighs only 13 lbs. (!!), comes with an instructional DVD, and has a 25 year limited warrenty. I went on the Brother website and they described the machine as an excellent introductory model and light weight enough to bring on vacation (no, tell me people don't really do that!) or to classes(that I can see me doing!). The only thing that worries me is the weight. My old machine is over 18 years old and is so heavy that it could stop a charging moose! Does light weight mean I won't be able to sew my beloved denim! Or am I living in the past, 1988 to be exact. Thanks again for your help!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, just to let you know that I went from a Pfaff I've had for 30+ years to a Brother Super Ace II which I'm very happy with. The Brother is very light compared to the Pfaff and I believe it's because the older machines have more metal in them than the new ones with more plastic parts.

Posts: 28 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post