Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

outside the box
 Login/Join

posted
I like to look "outside the box" to design garments. This time I made nightgowns from a blouse pattern.

DD requested 2 nightgowns for DGD (age 3). Since they are coming in 2 days I was feeling some panic. A month ago I printed a couple but never cut them out. The problem was the closure. DGD likes to "do it herself". Buttons are too hard and she doesn't like velcro. Anything in the back requires help.

This morning I had an idea. I started with the Loose Jersey Peasant Blouse. For extra ease I chose the comfort fit level. I added 12" to the length. DD requested short sleeves, so I printed the shortest (elbow) and added elastic to give the sleeves a bit of a ruffle look. (What I did was hem the bottom and attach the elastic about 1 1/4" above the hem.) I cut the pattern off 3/8" above the heavy blue line at the neck, put a piece of bias tape on the wrong side, and added elastic to draw it up. DGD should be able to put this on by herself.

Gown #2 - I used the same idea, but made the neckline a little higher (making sure that it would go on over her head). This time I used a shirttail hem. Since I couldn't add bottom width with the shaper tool, I added 1" to the side seams with my pencil. I put the bias tape on the outside in a coordinating color for a little extra interest.

I think I spent about 3 1/2 hours total, from idea to two finished garments. All I have to do is adjust the elastic when she gets here.

More ideas - I could have made the sleeves wider than the default to give a puffier look.

I thought of adding a ruffle at the neck, but my fabric was too heavy.

Lace could also be attached to the neckline, sleeves, and/or hem.

A ruffle added to the bottom of the shirttail hem would be another cute style.

What about the rest of you? Do you ever start with a garment and end up with a garment in another category? I'd like to hear what you have done.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carolyn, I don't do so much designing as you, but I've a few ideas on the "do-it-myself" clothes for DGD: For nightgowns, I use a front-yoked style with an overlap closed with Velcro (R) dots (not just the stick-on kind, which don't last past little fingers picking at them; stitch them on with a cross of stitching right through them). For back fastening on a dress, the same kind of dots or Velcro(R) strips.

My daughter reports hearing a weird noise from DGD's room and seeing DGD rubbing her back up and down on the doorframe; seems she can "fasten" her dots that way herself.

Keep sewing - they grow incredibly fast!

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My daughter reports hearing a weird noise from DGD's room and seeing DGD rubbing her back up and down on the doorframe; seems she can "fasten" her dots that way herself.

hehehe!

DGD didn't like velcro at all the last time I tried it. She wouldn't wear the summer nightgown with velcro.

posted Hide Post
My DGD loved when I made her nightgowns,I used a yoke front with buttons,frill around the yoke makes it look pretty too.
Now she's a teenager she likes stretchy PJ's,which Ive not got around to making as yet.I would think velcro, would be a bit noisey in bed at nite time GGG.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a summer nightgown the my DGD loved. I was testing something new and used very large buttons (1 1/4"). She loved it! Her little fingers could manage the big buttons. However, that was a sleeveless style and a woven fabric, so I needed something different this time.

It's funny how they have such strong preferences at a very young age. I'll know tomorrow whether or not she will wear this style.

I appreciate hearing the ideas of others. That gives me something to think about for the future. I think buttons will work when she is a little older.

I have finished for now - until Mar., when DD is likely to say, "Mom, were you going to make the kids some sommer pj's?" It's almost become a ritual. Big Grin