Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Window 8.1
 Login/Join

posted
How do I install DressShop on my new windows 8 laptop? Is it in the Windows store?

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I install DressShop on my new windows 8 laptop? Is it in the Windows store?

Short answer: No. The Windows Store is for products sold through Microsoft. Installing any other software available from the Internet is done as you would with any older computer or version of Windows. Navigate to the relevant web site, then download and install the software as you would have 10 years ago.

Longer answer: A Windows 8 laptop is a hybrid. It can act like a tablet (similar to an iPad, for instance). Or, it can act like a computer. It is, after all, a laptop computer. The Windows Store sells apps, available through Microsoft, but possibly developed by other companies) for the tablet side of things. There is a huge variety of those apps, but they do not include all software from all companies. Most commercially available software is still sold by the original publisher and can be installed either by CD or by download installation, the same as has been done with desktop and laptop computers for the past 30 or 40 years (the company I started sold software on floppy disks in 1978).

That older style of selling software is unchanged on the Win8 laptops. I personally vastly prefer and recommend online downloads, rather than CD installations. Those are instantly available and always up to date, while a CD gets obsolescent the moment an update or upgrade is released. For the download installation, you use a browser to visit the web site of the software maker, find their download page, download and install. You can be running your software in less time than it would take to get to a store and in much less time that it would take to get something mailed to you.

But, CDs work, too. The Win8 laptops can handle all of those variations, including getting apps from the Windows store. Hope that helps....

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, just what I needed to know. Now I can proceed. Cool

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post