Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Windows 10 and Dress Shop pattern icon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 and Dress Shop pattern icon
 Login/Join

posted
All of my DS patterns now have an icon for Coral Draw, I haven't made any changes to DS. I am using a Virtual Machine on a MacBookPro with VMware using Windows 10.

I have Coral Draw with my Janome Digitizer for embroidery, but I haven't accesses it since I also have HatchII.

The Patterns open up in DS...is it just a fluke?

Posts: 12 | Registered: 11 June 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows determines what a file is form its filename extension (the part after the period) e.g. some_file.txt is considered a text file because of the .txt. Windows chooses what icon to show for a file depending on what kind of file it thinks the file is, and uses the icon of the app that it thinks can open the file.

Problem is, there is no standard for filename extensions so two different apps may use the same filename extension for its file type. Dress Shop pattern files' .pat extension appears to be also used for CAD files. Windows thinks that Corel Draw is one of the apps that can deal with .pat files so it uses Corel Draw icon for your pattern files.

That's my guess.

--
Anna

Posts: 108 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I leave the icon the same or do I have to change it? I knew how to do that in XP but not Win10!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 11 June 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If DS pattern files open correctly then I'd just leave the icon thing alone.

--
Anna

Posts: 108 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also use my MacPro along with Fusion VMWare and Windows 10 to open the DressShop application. It works super well!
Sandi A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post