Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    dress size for the long waisted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dress size for the long waisted
 Login/Join

posted
I have been dress making for a while, since I can't ever find a good fit for my body. I am just wondering of anyone has a good formula for dress size and waist length for those of us who are fairly short, but long-waisted? I am 5'2", but have an inseam of 26", and whenever I buy a dress in my 'size' it always is too short. Thus, aside from my work dresses (which are no big problem since I am sitting most of the time), I have been trying to make my own. The problem is that the waist length for most patterns has the same problem. Any suggestions??

Posts: 6 | Location: California | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

Have you made any dresses with DS, using the full measurement chart? That should place your waist where it really is. Plus, as Kaaren mentioned, there is a new tool to adjust the waist indent placement on tops and one-piece dresses.

That's the beauty of DS, IMO. We can overcome most all of the fit challenges we find in commercial patterns and RTW.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Carolyn. I am new to this site; my desperation lead me here, since I can find nothing that fits my disproportionate body except separates--and even then sometimes it is difficult!!

I have been using RTW and commercial patterns, whilst increasing the length of the waist and the fullest of the chest. I have the top part almost down, but the waist is still problematic, especially the indents. It is hard to taper down to a small waist w/out bunching just below the bust, and w/out the bottom starting to flare out well above my navel rather than hanging from my hips. I look like the girl on the Morton Salt container ('When it rains it pours') except with big boobs!

Posts: 6 | Location: California | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

I think most of us are here because of frustrations with commercial patterns and fit (or lack of fit).

If you haven't already done so, why not download the demo and play with it for a while. It will do everything except print. If you like it you can purchase it.

The biggest challenge is getting good measurements, but once you get them you are ready to sew.

I have been using DS since 1998 and I rarely buy RTW now. DS is not perfect, but it sure beats anything else I have seen. In addition, I have lots of fun using all the tools to design my own garments. I am no longer limited to what someone else decides to offer in the way of styles.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kelly,

I have the same problem, and have found a great way to make sure my measurements are correct. I mark my crotch length by using a horizonal stick tucked up between my legs, then make sure that the length of the dress is a minimum of 1-2" inches below this. The distance from the base of my bust to this stick, plus an inch or two, works well for a classic but comfortable short dress. If you want something a bit longer, just add a couple of inches. I also make sure that the distance from the bottom of my bust to crotch level will insure I have at least an inch or two to spare in length. This way, I have never been disappointed!!

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post