Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Skirt flare question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skirt flare question
 Login/Join

posted
M Wife has what amounts to a midi length fishtail skirt that she likes to wear dancing. The skirt is a 6 gore pattern with the flare break point at her knee caps. I have been looking in DS9 for a way to reproduce this idea. I have found the 6 gore skirt but no way to move the break point down to her knee caps. Does this feature exist in DS9 or do I need to do it by hand? If it doesn't exist i suggest that a movable break point be incorporated into an up date to the program.

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
The default pivot point position for flared/gored skirts is at hip.

With the pivot at knee level on a midi length skirt thats a very short distance to run out the flare and its more an unattractive "flip" than a fish tail. When you do this "by hand" I suggest you start your flare at about mid thigh and add 3/8th to 1/2 curve to the hem.

BUT if you start with the 10 gore TRUMPET skirt,which is meant to design a dropped pivot- then go to options>shaping and finish and change your gores to 6- you are almost there- the pivot point may be adjusted on trumpet shapes. The default on my chart drops the pivot down from hip 10 Inches. Play with both the flare amounts and the pivot point.
I have done a very succesful skirt using 15 degrees ( versus 20) flare and a drop of 8 on the pivot point.
Have Fun
Kaaren

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
M Wife has what amounts to a midi length fishtail skirt that she likes to wear dancing. The skirt is a 6 gore pattern with the flare break point at her knee caps. I have been looking in DS9 for a way to reproduce this idea. I have found the 6 gore skirt but no way to move the break point down to her knee caps. Does this feature exist in DS9 or do I need to do it by hand?

There is not currently a 6 Gore Skirt in Dress Shop that allows the flare pivot point to be set. We could include some such in the next update.

There are currently 10-Gore, 12-Gore, and 14-Gore skirts that include this option. They were included in the Spring and Summer 2006 Collection, which you happen to own. You can find them in the Skirt - Gore folder.

Sorry to everyone else. The special on that collection that was recently offered expired on June 30th.

But, for Pat, those gore skirts do include flare pivot settings. Sorry there is not currently a 6-Gore Skirt with that option. It was never included in general release settings because it is so easy to get a trashy pattern when you use the wrong numbers in it. It really needs a tutorial and we just never got around to writing it. It could happen with any release is there is enough interest in the feature. You are the first to ask for it in recent years, though....

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post