Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Design challenges
 Login/Join

posted
At our meeting this week, members of the Greater Phila. Users' Group thought hard about a pair of design challenges. We hope you all may have some good ideas too:

1. Karen has been invited to a formal wedding at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday of Labor Day weekend at a downtown Phila. hotel. She has no other use for a traditional formal gown. What can DressShop help her design and make?

We suggested a two-piece outfit of very drapey palazzo pants in black (perhaps brocade), topped with a tunic-length, short-sleeved (Sept. may be very hot) top. Karen is a gifted quilter who has showed us a number of vests that are crazy-quilted out of silks and velvets. We envisioned a jewel-toned top with simple neckline and sleeves, relying on the beauty of her quilting, with varying shaped patches overstitched in feather stitch. We think most of the reactions from her fellow guests will be to ask where they can buy ones like it! What do you think?

2. Laura has been asked to help clothe a young woman who's going to be a missionary in Manchuria (I think - but a cold place!) for a year and a half. The woman must wear skirts and must be prepared to maintain her own clothing.

Our suggestions started with skirts of flannel-lined twill (no denim allowed!), corduroy, and other heavy cottons. Then, we suggested a variety of undergarments, ranging from flannel or fleece petticoats or pettipants to easily washable cotton & poly liners that can be washed much more often than the outer garments. What do you suggest?

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your group already has some excellent suggestions.

For Karen - I would ask her if she would be more comfortable in pants or a dress. I love the idea of incorporating some of her crazy quilting. She could even wear that part another time.

The main thing, IMO, is for Karen to decide what kind of garment she would be comfortable wearing - something basic, conservative, flashy, trendy.

You can't go wrong with basic black - in a dress, pants outfit, or top and skirt.

I am always more comfortable with some kind of sleeves when I go to an event at a hotel. It may be hot outside, but the hotels always seem to be pretty cool.

Each year I go to a formal Christmas party and usually make a new dress. My all-time favorite is a shoulder princess with sweetheart neckline, the "sweetheart" shape transferred to the sleeves (between short and elbow length), slight flare. I have probably found occasion to wear that one about 6 times. Most of the others have been worn once.

Laura - I suggest conservative, warm, and easy to care for garments. I know someone who was a missionary in Kazakstan (also cold) and that is what she wore. She is not likely to have the convenience of a washer/dryer.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Formal wear I would have to say,if I wore something like palazzo pants, they make me look huge and dumpy,since I am not a tall woman.I think in black a nice tunic and pants with some embellishment, to draw the eye up to the face.
For missionary garments- interlock is warm for undergarments.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for laura - does it have to be skirts or do you mean skirts/dresses? In that case I strongly suggest jumpers. They are comfortable and you can layer under them. I live in a cold climate - the idea of a fleece petticoat is just too funny. Think about it - picture yourself in a dress with a fleece slip.

Also, keep in mind that she will be going indoors occasionally, and will have to be comfortable.

If jumpers are an option, I suggest you focus on something simple and loose, and on the tops she can wear under them (there are so many nice washable knits) and then buy her a lot of silk long johns, the kind that skiers wear, to put under them. In any case, jumpers or skirts, make them long so that she can wear long johns underneath.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Arizona Kathy>
posted
I, too, suggest jumpers, with the armhole nicely dropped. Shirts can be layered underneath with a shirt jacket layered on top.

There are so many gorgeous flannels out now in the quilt stores. I would suggest a number of flannel shirts.

I have a friend who is a missionary in Moldova with clothing restrictions. She is allowed to wear split skirts. You might want to check this out as well. Especially if she will deal with extreme heat as well as extreme cold.

I would also suggest investing in good quality "long johns", leggings and such. Worn under long jumpers, very warm and comfortable but still meeting clothing standards.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
2. Laura has been asked to help clothe a young woman who's going to be a missionary in Manchuria (I think - but a cold place!) for a year and a half. The woman must wear skirts and must be prepared to maintain her own clothing.
QUOTE]

Depending on just where the area she will be locating, not only is it cold but it is windy increasing the windchill considerably. I remember Mongolia as not only being windy but the desert sand picks up blinding you with the biting blowing sand. [the map show Manchuria east of Mongolia] She will need some kind of head covering for all that but a good scarf will do just fine. Colorful cotton Ikat would work.
Living in the northeast [and coming from the south brrrrr] I have found that I do the best in natural fibers and tend to wear 100% cotton year round.
Heads up hint on undergarments, she will be squatting over a round hole to relieve herself. In a skirt, having to pull down panties will be a problem. So just thinking that the old fashion southern petticoat that is crotchless would be the best. But she probably should ask her host about that. Smiler
Layers were the key when we were traveling there. Something to break the wind on the large size. Something for warmth which she might actually have to sleep in on the coldest nights. On really cold days the thing to break the wind will be worn over the warm coat.
There is a lot of good woven cotton clothing there and some of it is waxed to cut the wind and the rain. And years ago, clothing bought there was REALLY cheap so buying some items there might be a good idea.
Tell her that I missed fruit the most in the 6 weeks we were traveling and nearly trampled someone who was carrying dried raisins. lol We had M&M's that we traded for those raisins. She might try carrying both unless that would be against her hosts rules. Being in China is a lot about not losing face and working on the Chinese time and thoughts. It is about what they want and when they want it and never about what you want. You can suggest and be patient but it is up to them to give.
I loved China and the Chinese people.
Duckie

DS Pro 6.13 --
with everything,
Hat Shop,
Home Dec,
IE 6.0.2800,
Win XP SP1,
HP Deskjet 6800 wireless

Posts: 34 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had only talked to the mother of the missionary before I went to the user group meeting, but this week I was able to talk to the daughter. I will not be making anything for her. She had an instruction sheet about clothing. Yes, she is going to Mongolia. She can buy locally tailor-made skirts for $10-15, and was told to buy most of her clothing there. Apparently they wear some kind of quilted long under-pants and other layers. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas--it has been interesting thinking about, anyway.

Laura Dilts

Posts: 5 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I for one would love to see a copy of that list of clothing. How very fascinating.
Told you the clothing costs were little in realtionship to what we pay. My husband had a pair of underpants ruined while there. When he told them what they cost, they were horrified. They traded him a Coke [which was very expensive] for them.
Duckie

DS Pro 6.13 --
with everything,
Hat Shop,
Home Dec,
IE 6.0.2800,
Win XP SP1,
HP Deskjet 6800 wireless

Posts: 34 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post