Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cardigan
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to draft a pattern for a Cardigan. I am wanting to make it similar to the Jersey type RTW cardigans. I am using the Unfitted Shirt pattern. Could someone please tell me how I accomplish getting the larger sleeves at the armhole. Would I want to increase the Across Back and Armhole Ease to accomplish this? Or is this better done some other way?
Thanks,
Rena

Posts: 75 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may use the cardigan from the twin set issued with fall winter 06 I believe it was. Or you can increase arm hole depth(ease) , shoulder extension and bicep ease.

If you are using a stretch jersey you may not want huge increases.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kaaren,
I thought that the cardigan from the twin set was more for lighter knits. I will be using a stretch jersey. I am wanting an effect more like a sweat shirt cardigan. Will the twin set cardigan work for this? If not, how much increase would you recommend for the armhole, shoulder extension and bicep?

Rena

posted Hide Post
The twin set cardigan is a little more fitted. and how much more ease is needed is soooooooooo personal.

What you like and what I like may be so very different for the same "type" of garment I really hesitate to attempt an answer.

I suggest measure an actual similiar garment from your closet or the nearest store that has one. Using the reference lines on compare the measurements to the pattern - change the values in the fit ease tool until you have something comparable.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my problem is that I am just now getting back into sewing after a year off for 10 back surgeries. My memory is playing tricks on me about how much ease is needed for different garments.
I believe I will try again using the Casual Fitted Shirt changing the Armhole Depth from 3/16 to 2, the Bicep Ease from 2 3/16 to 3 7/8 and the shoulder Extention from 0 to 1 1/2. I am also going to try changing the Sleeve Cap from 3/4 to 1 1/2.
I have tried 2 other slopers before asking on the list. But none seem to fit correctly in the arm. They are all to tight feeling. I was hoping perhaps there was some magic formula LOL for ease in used in cardigan in the sleeve area. Perhaps this will be the magic try. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Again,
Rena