Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slinky fabric
 Login/Join

posted
Im asking for some collective wisdom here. I am about to embark on a travel wardrobe using a lot of slinky fabric. This is really good slinky fabric so I don't want to screw this up. I've made tops, jackets, a skirt and dresses before but never pants. I am questioning the amount of ease. My inclination is to use no design ease and cut 1" seams while shortening the crotch since this stuff grows so much. I always use clear elastic on seams that I need resilience in like shoulders, necks, etc. One workshop I atteneded, the instructor uses clear elastic in all the seams.

Will the software compensate for this stretch if I use the fit tool and use a 100% stretch setting?

What is everyone's take on this plan? I am a fluffy person and can't have the fit to close, but this stuff really looks awful if it isn't done right.

Kathy

Posts: 14 | Location: Stark County, OH | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy, I made a pair of one seam pants using ottoman, a heavier hand slinky, and used standard fit and regretted it! Every bump was highlighted. When I do it again, I will add 1 inch ab ease and 2 inch hip ease ....

definitely fusible stabilizer tape in the crotch area. No, the stretch factor will NOT help with the vertical stretching..only the horizotal stretching, so either use clear elastic in the side seams or let it hang for a few days and see if it stops stretching.

Good Luck

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was advised on another list to always fold slinky. Hanging it will cause it to stretch.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tina and Carolyn thanks for your input. The fusible stabilizer tape dawned on me yesterday as I was fusing some on a V neck tee. There is a Duh! for me. Glad I didn't print out the pattern. As I looked at it as I drafted it, I was seeing way to much negative ease. But thought I'd wait a few days hoping to hear from a few of you folks. If ottoman was to form fitting, regular slinky will be worse. I didn't expect the stretch factor would adjust lengthwise but glad to have that confirmed. I never hang my slinky knits. They don't wrinkle a bit so I just fold them in a drawer. Think I'll redraft right now. Thanks to both of you.

Kathy

Posts: 14 | Location: Stark County, OH | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathy,
Sandra Betzina & others advise 5 inches of ease in any area you don't want to emphasize. i know that sounds weird with how stretchy slinky is BUT when it grows in length it's stealing from the horizontal/width. Kind of like wearing a bias cut garment. Unless you're a skinny model not something I would wear. Eeker

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to confuse you about hanging. I also do not hang my slinky garments after they are made, but I do put my slinky pants and skirts on Doris, my My Twin DressForm, and duplicate wearing them ...in case they stretch in length...Slinky can be very heavy and can stretch with pants and skirts....I let them hang on her for a few days and then hem...

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post