Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slopers
 Login/Join

posted
My question is this: once I make the blouse sloper & the pants sloper will I never have to make another sloper (unless I lose weight)? Will the finished measurements (after any altering I might have to do) work with any of the Dress Shop Pro patterns? My biggest concern is getting a swimsuit that fits great. Maybe I am starting off with too ambitious a project, but then again my theory has always been: if I can do the hard stuff I can do anything. Also can anyone recommend a book/s I can read that would visually explain a lot of the intricasies of pattern making and knowing how much ease to add or subtract from a given garment. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WendyKay:
My question is this: once I make the blouse sloper & the pants sloper will I never have to make another sloper (unless I lose weight)? Will the finished measurements (after any altering I might have to do) work with any of the Dress Shop Pro patterns? My biggest concern is getting a swimsuit that fits great. Maybe I am starting off with too ambitious a project, but then again my theory has always been: if I can do the hard stuff I can do anything. Also can anyone recommend a book/s I can read that would visually explain a lot of the intricasies of pattern making and knowing how much ease to add or subtract from a given garment. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Re weight gain /loss some minor alterations would be needed,but tis no big deal,make sure the slopers fit perfect and all systems will be go from there,you will want some slight changes in what you want from the patterns long sleeves short sleeves etc,thats easily done with choices though we make,there is a help section on the top part of the program that will give you lots of ways to finish garments etc!theres a stretch percentage you have to take into concideration making swim suits, you need to measure how much stretch the fabric has.This too is on help within the program.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI- the slopers- torso and pant provide a working knowledge of how the patterns will fit.
The shoulder position which is critical, the side seam,dart placement and so on.

Your fabric ( stretch and if so how much) versus woven determine your actual ease.

The environment you wear the garment is also has an effect. Is this casual everyday comfey or red carpet fitted.

Swimsuits should fit as well if not even better than a with ease woven pattern. The desired fit is pretty standard but this presumes you are using 100% stretch fabric.not 80% or 120% stretch.

Once you make the sloper you should also make a wearable blouse/dress or jacket as a "toile" wearable but inexpensive fabrics similiar to what your "good stuff" will be made out of.

The reason being that everyone has a PERSONAL concept of what standard fit means. If you find ours too loose or too tight at "standard" you can then make adjustments to how much ease you call for...always remembering two things.

Everyone's idea of perfect fit is as individual and valid as anyone elses but there may be miles between each.

Defaukt means a starting point- NOT your concept of perfection.

Our programs draft the front to the front number and the back to the back numbers.

To get smooth side seams the program adds collateral ease. Which is extra ease over whats "called for at default" this is because you have a bust and a butt.

Take a look with reference lines on and you will see some meet the side seam and some end before the side seam.that extra space is collateral ease.

As to books - not to my knowledge probably because everyones ideal concept varies so much. An Armani fit is much different than American Tees. Which is why every manufacturer has its own sizing model which is proprietory and not made public.

Its really a matter of understanding and learning what YOU want. Thats why the toiles are helpful.

Hope this helps,
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post