New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convertible sleeve
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy!

I'd like to make a long-sleeved blouse whose sleeves roll up to become short sleeves. What type of sleeve within DS or MPD should I start with, and how would I modify it to do this?

Many thanks!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Luz>
posted
Once I had a long slv blouse w/ a cuff & placket. It had a button on the upper slv around armpit height on the outside. When you rolled the slv up a tab that was stitched inside the slv was exposed. You could then pull the tab up over the rolled slv & button to hold it in place. Is that what you're asking? Luz

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember those sleeves too,wouldn't it make sense, just to increase the cuff area& wide enough to go past the elbow?extra ease.Guessing here of course GGGG

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found one blouse picture on the web offered by Macy's featuring the Calvin Klein Convertible sleeve which describes it as a full length sleeve that converts to 3/4 length.

C Klein Convertible sleeve
There is also an anorak jacket with lined sleeve thats convertible.

The picture however shows something very different. It shows An elbow length sleeve when its buttoned up and you can clearly see the stitch line of the cuff.

In order for no seam to show on the lower part of the sleeve it needs one of 3 finishes.

Either a very wide cuff that folds up, or a lined sleeve or the simplest choice the underarm seam is finished with a narrow French seam. The sleeve would have to be inserted in the round with this method. Instructions for the French seam process are in the sewing articles under seam finishes.

A tab is stitched inside the sleeve with a button placed on the outside of the sleeve at the appropriate height. The tab is a finished turned rectangle with a triangular point with the button hole in the point. The width of the tab depends on the size button used and width of button hole needed.

Using blouse 112121 as an example - increase the bicep ease by 1 additional inch and the width at hem by at least 1 inch.

The tab as Luz dscribed can hang all the way down from the armhole/sleevecap apex so as not to have stitch lines securing the tab on the sleeve itself when its worn as full length. OR you can permanently fold up the sleeve and stitch a shorter tab to the lower cuff wrist join. I say permanently 'cause you wouldnt want that tab floating around below the cuff when not in use.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post