Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Core/Basic Patterns Wish List
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Core/Basic Patterns Wish List
 Login/Join

posted
I wish for core/basic patterns in Dress Shop that will draft to measurements, including a bodice, skirt, and pants, that all Dress Shop Tools may be used with to make our own styling designs to mix and match instead of having to wade through a menu of too many pattern options that have pieces that may or may not work with others. I wish for basic patterns that can be trusted to align together based on the proofed measurement set, that can be sewn together as one when using the design and fit tools, such as sheath and bodysuit, from these basic patterns.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Marilyn in Brisbane>
posted
That is what, I think, all users want. Basic patterns that fit our measurements and actually work reliably. Then tools that work with all the basic patterns to get the designs we want. If the basic core patterns (bodice, skirt, pant, fitted blouse, sheath dress, jacket) fit and the tools work - we can design most things we want.

Once you have the basic fit (slopers), you can develop your basic block (ie sheath dress) and from there any drafting book will show you how to rotate darts, etc to design almost anything.

I want DS to give us the slopers and the basic patterns and the tools. Instead, we pay for new patterns (that often are slight variations on basics that we should be able to do ourselves) and dozens of emails just trying to get basic drafting problems fixed.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diane,

I am a long time user who depends on DS for all my sewing pattern needs. You have exactly described what I wish for --i.e basic patterns that users can depend on and use as a basis for designing and sewing.

Thank you for that description of the perfect DS.

Caroline

Posts: 16 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you have the basic fit (slopers), you can develop your basic block (ie sheath dress) and from there any drafting book will show you how to rotate darts, etc to design almost anything.

While this is true in theory its takes time and effort to learn and implement those pattern drafting, rotation and redesign steps, rules and theorys.

I can draft a pattern from scratch by hand.

I can alter a pattern from a comemrcial pattern and make it what I want both in terms of fit and design.

BUT I use Dress Shop cause its faster, simpler and always ready to just point, click a few buttons and choices and print...any time of day or night.

I don't have to wait for a block of time 3-4 hours long to draft prepare and muslin every single garment. I can draft a pattern in under 10 minutes.

I don't have to hand draft every pattern with due to a change of neck and sleeve and maybe fit level.

In the past months we have gone in and refined a number of patterns that have been "released" for years all as free updates.

We have also released a number of collections with totally new and unique patterns that our users have asked for.

What one persons skills will permit and seem "simple" is a brick wall to the next user .

who may not have the time or even inclination to go through a course of study on their own or in a class room to gain those skills.

Our user base ranges from brand new sewers who just bought a machine to those sewing for a half century..they all have a capability of getting a good fitting pattern.

Considering the enormous possibility for variables in size, shape, assymetry the most basic patterns to the most complex can be shaped, fitted and acquited with an absolute minimal pattern drafting skills.

You don't need to know how to slash/ pivot rotate darts, or hand draft a sleeve.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another old time user and my wishes are sort of middle of the road.

Like Diane, Carolyn and Marilyn, I really like the idea of core patterns, blouse, pants/skirts and a block pattern for full torso patterns like the sheath/body suits, etc.; and it would be nice if they were labeled like that. It would be nice if they were dependable, always, in fit.

From there, I would like the Blue Tower design choices, and the adjustments, as they are now, and, as future development improves them. I love these. This is where I can use my own creativity and let all of my creative juices flow.

I know there has to be patterns, especially as each new season brings new design elements to the fashion runways. I have been so impressed with some of the new ideas, that, I, too, have had to purchase some new patterns to see how to sew some of the new elements of these designs. This is also very exciting to me.

We have patterns, but there are two kinds: separated into 1)ones that we can alter with choices from the Blue Tower, and 2)some that we can not. This is a bit frustrating to me, as so far, I have not seen labeling that will let me quickly know if I can alter them or not. (It is pretty hard to try to change a pattern that will not allow me to do so, and sometimes you think you have changed it and you have not)
I believe there should be both - patterns that have elements that should not be changed, and some that do. Some are like classics, where no changes should be made. Some are like 'art to wear' where anything goes.

I am still working with 6.12. Maybe 6.13 has changed some of this. I love DS. I realize that everyone has ideas of how the program should be. I am only one of many.

Posts: 183 | Location: CA | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with you. Smiler I wish the patterns that are "Little change allowable" were labeled as such. Maybe a star could be placed beside these basic patterns or something. There are times I'm looking for a basic just as it comes off the printer pattern and sometimes I am in a creative let my mind go ballistic mood. Would be nice to have a quick, easy way of knowing which is which.
I like the new releases to stimulate my creativity and give me those quick and easy, no changes needed (or few)patterns to sew up without too much brain strain. I also like those core patterns that we can use to go wild. There are so many different sewers using this program, it takes both. I appreciate the company trying to be deversified enough to satisfy us all.

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, this is what I thought I was buying. I thought I could add extra's as I liked, but that the core would be there to modify/use as I like. I just get very frustruated with all the things breaking, standard things, things we have had forever, every time a new "toy" comes out. Is there any way to have multiple versions of DS on 1 computer so I can use the version with pants that work at the same time as a different version with the princess lines that work?

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have NOT changed pants..and didnt change them in the last upmteen months.

We allowed a change to waist shaping.has nothing to do with pants 0r skirts at all.....

IF theres a change in the last year maybes its your settings, a trial you forgot you did to change the crotch point setting,or advice you follwo3ed that didnt quite pan out, or that you have lost weight.or even changed your posture a bit..

we made a mens draft that didnt change womens at all.

In fact I have to say Im still wearing some pants that still wear well fr5om several years ago.the patetrns the SAME.

every update I print and compare....the original pattern that Im currently wearing was drafted in Dec 2002....and the one I can draft today overlays exactly.....

soon I need to make some changes.cause Im loosing weight..but not because my pattern draft has changed.

the waist shaping thing.

do nothing get no change.

enter a number get a DESIRED OPTIONAL change .

Like a jacket with std fit wear over nothing or wear over silky...users requested it go from wear over nothign to wear over oxford....personally I like wear over silky...go to the option entry and make it..

we do respond to user requests x many are thrilled, x many complain something changed...

The idea of icons for whats in various garments.....cool concept but where `are we going to stick up to a dozen icons per pattern....thats menu would get mighty cramped with very small type....

you want a basic list..
I can do that! fit level standard on all.

blouses: shell , fitted shirt, unfitted shirt

pants :fitted, trousers, sweat pants,jeans

Dress's: sheath, shift, princess arm hole, princess classic, two piece, fitted bodice, empire

jackets:
boxy, fitted, ah and shoulder princess
ditto for vests
ditto for tunics
stop right here,. you have the basics.

princess panels, godets, vents, linings, a gazillion sleeves, necklines , collars, shaper tools, closure tools,new necklines, additional fit levels for stretch -very close, light stretch -close, causal and comfort are not the basics.. they are additional items developed in the last couple years.

leave off all the active wear, lingerie, formal stuff, hanky hems, assymetric necklines and finish levels, weskits and shaped tunics, tools for dart adjustment, collar size adjustments, flare, neckline depths and widths, shoulder extensions, yokes,.......oh a few more.offset points for flare, waist shaping, vents, short button plackets and henleys,

they arent basics they are all additions...
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kaaren,
I understand that I can PURCHASE what i choose, but if I just want (for example) the back waist dart fix, and I am on v 6.09, then I must also get any problems that occured when the men's program was added (like the sleeve cuff problem with jackets).

IS there a way to have different versions of DS loaded on 1 computer, so I can use the version of jackets that works and use the version for pants that works???

Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isew4five:
IS there a way to have different versions of DS loaded on 1 computer, so I can use the version of jackets that works and use the version for pants that works???
Sure, if you load each on different drive, i.e., one on C Drive, one on D (or other) drive.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what sleeve cuff problem on jackets?

The cuff is not available on jackets with darted or 2 piece sleeves.
An update includes everythign we have done to improve patterns, fix things that arent functioning the way the user thinks they should function which soemtimes includes a pattern redesign from something created aeons ago.

You can NOT cherry pick files you want/dont want.

The last update had over 400 files in it that were effected. ( Most relating to mens)

Its your option but a great many positive changes have occurred since 6.09 including minor adjustments that started the evolution towards the waist indent files.

Getting ONLY the last file on a specific issue may well need something from its predecessor update to function.

Update memos show the average update as over 20 addressed issues including the newest collection.

WHICH you don't have to activate.

IF you elect to activate it it must run in the environment of the current program.not one several generations older.

Kaaren

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com