Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    pattern choices for slinky
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pattern choices for slinky
 Login/Join

posted
I was pursuing the latest Coldwater Creek catalog, and realized that I would have to spend a minimum of $300 for two pants, two tops and a skirt in slinky. I have never sewed with slinky before, but do believe I can make those for far less than $300 which I really don't have lying around to toss. I am looking at easy patterns such as the raglan surplice and one seam pants to minimize design details as the garments I have seen with slinky seem to be that way. Would these work with slinky as long as I enter the stretch factor? What other quick outfits would you recommend?----Denise

Posts: 82 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Luz>
posted
I love Slinky! It feels wonderful on and is nice to work w/. Much more stable than you would first think. You're correct, simple lines work best. I made a cowl neck top, tanks, surplice and twist tops recently and really enjoy wearing them. Luz

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear you have sewn slinky, Luz. Do you (or anyone else) have any tips on sewing it - it seems so hard to handle - heavy & stretches so easily. Do you use all of the stretch when adding the stretch factor? I've purchased some really nice slinky & would like to make sure it turns out well.
Thanks,
Wren

MPD Pro, DS7 Pro, UP, UO, Illusions, EA, EL, FD1 & 2, FT, PD & many add-on patterns

Posts: 31 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Luz>
posted
I generally use 75-100% stretch. It skims over lumps and bumps w/o clinging. I use my serger where ever I can. I haven't had to adjust the differential but do find on the crossgrain that it feeds smoother if I serge w/ tissue paper underneath. When using my machine, I also use tissue paper. It's a pain to pick out but feeds and lays so nice that it's worth the effort. If you don't have a serger, use a sm. zigzag or lightening stitch and a stretch needle. I use wooly nylon in my loopers. I stabilize the shoulders w/ clear elastic and use a light fusible interfacing on necklines. There are several different stabilizer that work ( I use what I have on hand) but you do need to use something due to the weight of the fabric. A walking foot is recommended as the fabric likes to creep. I'm usually in a hurry, so I cheat and sandwich it between to layers of tissue paper. You have to play a bit w/ your scraps to see what works for you and your equipment. Worth the effort IMHO! Luz

posted Hide Post
Threads magazine had a good article on sewing with slinky a few years ago, including ease, etc. I think it would answer lots of your questions...though I don't think they mentioned tissue paper, which is a great idea.
Carol in CA

Posts: 21 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the soluble stabilizer used in embroidery? Then, you wouldn't have to pick out the pieces, only squirt them.
Kelly

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some ideas, but where would the best source for slinky be outside of Britex?????----Denise

Posts: 82 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KellyLoftice:
What about the soluble stabilizer used in embroidery? Then, you wouldn't have to pick out the pieces, only squirt them.
Kelly
Now theres a good idea kelly! Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Luz>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Denise Stahl:
I have some ideas, but where would the best source for slinky be outside of Britex?????----Denise

I got some from Spandex House recently that was nice and reasonable. And yes, the water soluble stabilizer is easier, I just didn't have any on hand. Luz