Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Instructions needed for Pants with Back Elastic Flat Front
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instructions needed for Pants with Back Elastic Flat Front
 Login/Join

posted
I am wanting to make a pair of pants with elastic in the back waist band, but having a flat front waist band. For some reason I can't get it in my head how to construct these. Is there an article somewhere describing how to do this? Or does someone have a favor way of doing this? I do better with pictures if someone can point me to a website showing step by step instructions.

Thanks,
Rena Evans

Dress Shop 8 Pro plus all the patterns that come with it.
Complete Pants Customizer
Dress Shop Illusions
Dress Shop Ultimate Outerwear
Dress Shop Ultimate Pants

Posts: 132 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi- If you have the pant customizer you may select elastic- back waist only. The pant then has the waist expand to hip width in back and you get a fold over waistband in which to run your elastic just as if it was fold over for front and back. The darted front has an applied waistband. Here's a tip you can sew the side seams to just below waist level- apply the front band and foldover and run elastic for the back band, locking the elastic in just inside the outseams seam allowance- then finish sewing the outseams.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kaaren that seems easy enough. I have what is probably a dumb questions. Will it work just as well drafting the front of the pattern without darts?

Rena

posted Hide Post
sure if you dont want darts- the point is matching the band to the pant front and the foldover to the back
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Confused

I would like to know if I can design pants with back elastic and flat front with Dress Shop 8 (standard). Unfortunately, I don't own the pants customizer yet Frowner

Best wishes

Posts: 7 | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to know if I can design pants with back elastic and flat front with Dress Shop 8 (standard). Unfortunately, I don't own the pants customizer yet

No problemo if you are willing to have a waistband. Load a pants pattern you own, then use "Options - Darts and Pleats" tool. Select "Front Fitted" and "Back Elastic". Separate front and back waistbands will draft. Put elastic in the back one and no elastic in the front one.

For foldover waistband in the back and no waistband in the front, you would need the Pants Customizer tool...

The Pants Customizer

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES- and lots more options and combos.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Hi Smiler

I really appreciate your help. Have a great weekend.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first try at making the flat front elastic back pants was a disaster. For some reason when I thought I had selected the flat front, it drafted to the width as if I had selected the elastic front. Did not notice this until after I had the pants together and realized the front waist was too big. <BIG SIGH!> To the programs credit it was user error because I can get it to draft correctly now. I must have been in la la land for not noticing this before cutting and stitchting. GGG's

That is when plan B came into effect. I ended up having to put elastic through the front and back to salvage the pants. So all was not lost.

If anyone ever decides to make a pair of this type pants and document with pictures I would sure love a copy of your documentation. I just do so much better when I have step by step pictures and someone holding my hand. LOL!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Rena