Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hip ease
 Login/Join

posted
I tried to send this through the program but got 'this page cannot be displayed".

Hi Bob. I am looking at the hanky skirt with the draw string waist. latest update. when I add ease to the hip the waist gets the ease and the hip stays the same. to show this I put a large number 20 in the hip ease and this shows the problem very well.
thanks

Posts: 107 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried to send this through the program but got 'this page cannot be displayed".

Hi Bob. I am looking at the hanky skirt with the draw string waist. latest update. when I add ease to the hip the waist gets the ease and the hip stays the same. to show this I put a large number 20 in the hip ease and this shows the problem very well.
thanks

Hello Jacqui,

Interesting experiment. It is working exactly as it should, though. Here's why.

When you draft any drawstring OR elastic waist pattern, the waist size is drafted to the larger of waist plus ease, ab plus ease, or hip plus ease. This is so the garment can be pulled on over the largest feature, then snugged up to actual waist using elastic or drawstring.

In the case you chose, hip plus ease was largest. So, that was what the waist drafted to. The fact that the garment did not get even wider at the hip level was because it was already wide enough from the waist. The skirt side seam was larger at the waist than was needed for the hip, so it needed to get no wider at hip level than it already was.

Your next question will be: "Why take the waist to ab plus ease or hip plus ease? Why not just the largest of waist, ab, or hip, without the ease? I could still pull it on even if the ease was not there."

That's a good question. The ease is not actually needed at this particular place. On the other hand, nobody tends to add lots of excess ease at ab or hip with flaring skirts, so I doubt we will change the pattern draft in this case.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tried adding 20" of hip ease and the pattern changed drastically, which is what I expected.

Why don't you re-start the program and try again. Sometimes it gets "confused".

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post