Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skort assembly
 Login/Join

posted
Will someone please explain to me how the skort is supposed to be assembled? I understand the "shorts" fronts and backs. That leave me with:

- a front left skirt (does this get sewed into the left-side seam of the shorts?),

- a front right skirt (which appears to overlap the front left, but shows no finishing on the lefthand side of the piece, and which could go into the right-side seam of the shorts or could seam to the remaining piece, without being caught in the shorts seam), and

- a back right skirt (which could go into the right-side seam of the shorts or could join the front right at the right side of the overlap piece) and which seems to end right in the middle of my butt, looking right to left.

The layout tool seems to indicate "cut two" of the wide, front right piece. Is the intent to overlap both front and back (which would seem to look better) - but the pieces are labelled oddly and the layout shows only one half-width skirt piece, rather than two.

I confess, I'm buffaloed!

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not put this one togather, YET! But looking at the pattern, It looks to me like you cut one of each front and back mock skirt. The straight edge gets hemed and the curved edge of each peice gets sewed into the side seam. (at least that is the way they were sewen years ago when I use to wear them) I will be making this pattern up soon...I always loved them.
Janet the barefootlady

Posts: 4 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm working on this now, I wanted to share something NOT to do - I thought I was layering the skirt part over the shorts, then I put the zipper in the back. What I really did was the shorts over the skirt (don't ask me how I did it!), so I ended up with nice shorts with a skirt bunched up inside. Of course I didn't see this till I had the zipper in and waist basted, but it really didn't take long to rip out and redo.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all have those days, don't we? Did you decide that there's a skirt in the front and one in the back - or only in the front?

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But then, what's the half-width skirt-type piece labelled "right back"? (Understand, I know how to make a skort, but our mantra in the Phila. Users' Group is: "How do we get the program to do the work we could do with a pencil?") The skort pattern currently has a problem that might stonker an inexperienced user.

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marj in Southeastern PA:
But then, what's the half-width skirt-type piece labelled "right back"? (Understand, I know how to make a skort, but our mantra in the Phila. Users' Group is: "How do we get the program to do the work we could do with a pencil?") The skort pattern currently has a problem that might stonker an inexperienced user.

I don't see it as a stonker for a inexperienced user. That back piece I would call an optional piece, and I would place it on the fold to get a whole back piece. (Maybe they can label it optional back piece).

I was so happy when I saw that this skort pattern had that back piece. I was thinking of some of the design possibilities with that.

1. On the side cut off anywhere from 1-2" front and back. Apply as usual. The sides of the shorts will show through on the side giving it a unique look. You can also put tie ribbons on the top, either as functional so that you can add the skirt when you want or as decorative to make it look like it was tied on.

2. pencil a yoke and attach the skirt and short to the yoke and then have one single layer yoke piece around the waist. This could be done for the front or back only, or for both sides.

3. Make the skort in bottom weight fabric, then make the shorts underneath in a lighter weight fabric. No one will see the shorts and you will feel cooler.

4. Combine the skort pattern with a bicycle pants patterns or some other stretch fabric.
Again noone will see the shorts and you will be styling wearing that cute skort. Actually you could this with any skirt pattern too.

Just some of the possibilities that I have been playing with. I am thinking outside the box.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LindaF:

Just some of the possibilities that I have been playing with. I am thinking outside the box.
Linda Flint

Thanks for the creative ideas! Where you are now and where I am now illustrate, I think, two of the "people streams" that value DressShop:

- ones like me who, right now, are "on deadline" to produce a pair of pants from a new design to take to the Greater Phila. Users' meeting on Tuesday. I have a hunk of appropriate fabric in my stash, and I want to produce - with minimal effort - a skort that fits me.

- ones like you who, right now, have creative juices flowing that DS helps you realize in garments that fit you.

Aren't we fortunate that DS accommodates us in either of these two modes - and many more!

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

posted Hide Post
I was so happy when I saw that this skort pattern had that back piece. I was thinking of some of the design possibilities with that.

1. On the side cut off anywhere from 1-2" front and back. Apply as usual. The sides of the shorts will show through on the side giving it a unique look. You can also put tie ribbons on the top, either as functional so that you can add the skirt when you want or as decorative to make it look like it was tied on.

2. pencil a yoke and attach the skirt and short to the yoke and then have one single layer yoke piece around the waist. This could be done for the front or back only, or for both sides.

3. Make the skort in bottom weight fabric, then make the shorts underneath in a lighter weight fabric. No one will see the shorts and you will feel cooler.

4. Combine the skort pattern with a bicycle pants patterns or some other stretch fabric.
Again noone will see the shorts and you will be styling wearing that cute skort. Actually you could this with any skirt pattern too.

Linda Flint[/QUOTE]

What a great list of ideas, Linda! I hadn't considered the skort for a while, but now I am more inspired. Can anyone tell me how to make time for my ideas?

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LindaF:

Linda Flint

Great Linda. I am a golfer and love skorts. A lady at my club wears a really smart pair that only has a flap at the back.
Marge UK

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great Linda. I am a golfer and love skorts. A lady at my club wears a really smart pair that only has a flap at the back.
Marge UK

Exactly! I always felt that a skort that covered the back end rather than the front end would be a good idea.
There are a whole bunch of possibilities with a skort and no matter what age, I think it shows of the legs and changing shapes of our back end better in a skirt than shorts. A skort is the best of both worlds.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post