Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Printing - Large Format Printer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printing - Large Format Printer
 Login/Join

posted
Is it possible to create a .plt file for a pattern so that it can be printed by a commerical print shop or from a computer that does not have Dress Shop installed? It would be so much easier to print the pattern pieces on a 24x36 or 30x42 sheet instead of having to piece 8-1/2x11 sheets together.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluebear:
... It would be so much easier to print the pattern pieces on a 24x36 or 30x42 sheet instead of having to piece 8-1/2x11 sheets together.

I know there is a big difference in printer prices but I was lucky enough to already have a printer that would take larger paper so I print my patterns on 11x17 paper. Is there a chance that your printer would take 8.5x14 legal paper? It does cut down significantly on the amount of sheets used. Also I can reduce the number of sheets sometimes by adjusting to smaller margins.

I'm not really qualified to answer the question on the file types but I think it has been asked before and the answer was no. DresssShop uses your default Windows printer to generate the printouts.

Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible to create a .plt file for a pattern so that it can be printed by a commerical print shop or from a computer that does not have Dress Shop installed? It would be so much easier to print the pattern pieces on a 24x36 or 30x42 sheet instead of having to piece 8-1/2x11 sheets together.

I have not tried this in awhile as it was mildly complicated. But, Kinkos printing (now owned by FedEx) has a service where you can install a driver of their's and print to it. If you do that, your file is sent to them, they can print it on any of their large plotters and you can pick it up or have it shipped to you.

I last tried it about 2 years ago and it worked well. I presume it still does. The service is described at:

Printing at Kinkos

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it "sent to" Kinkos electronically? If so, about how big would a pattern be? I have a dail up ISP and any thing bigger than 20K takes forever to up or down load.

AliceM DS Educator
DS6.14 Pro, MPD with everything else. WinXP, HP3050 color laser printer

Posts: 36 | Location: Ocean Park, WA | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluebear:
... It would be so much easier to print the pattern pieces on a 24x36 or 30x42 sheet instead of having to piece 8-1/2x11 sheets together.

Bluebear -

I'm not sure how you are piecing your pages together. I guess everyone comes up with their own system that works best for them.

I punch the corner holes and create the horizontal strips for the pattern first. Then I have a sheet of white plastic pegboard with holes on 1 inch centers where I line up the horizontal strips using pegs and tape the strips together.

The Pegboard and the Olfa Rotary Cutter with the Guide Arm accessory to true the seams (and simultaneously cut the fabric if it is lightweight) has really streamlined the paper to sewing process for me.

You may already have come up with a system that works just as well for yourself. Smiler

Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it "sent to" Kinkos electronically? If so, about how big would a pattern be? I have a dail up ISP and any thing bigger than 20K takes forever to up or down load.

It is sent electronically over the Internet. I'm afraid I do not know how large the file is as it was sent as it was "printed". I never actually saw the file. Sorry I don't know.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies. I have access to E-size plotters at work which would make printing pattern pieces as one sheet a lot easier. However, I will try the Kinko's/FedEx service.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid $5 for an ancient 15" dot matrix printer. It is a slim-line version (wish I was Wink), so doesn't take up too much space. At least this way I only have 2 vertical pieces to stick together !

Cheers
Anne

Posts: 3 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post