Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Trouble opening patterns in DS7
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble opening patterns in DS7
 Login/Join

<Dorothy Rudkin>
posted
I have not used DS7 recently, but I did transfer my DS patterns to MPD. Now I cannot open any pattern in DS7. I get the message "Windows cannot open file, needs to know what program you want to use to open it".
All the DS patterns show this message.
Are there any solutions to this, has anyone else encountered the same problem. I am using Windows Vista but wish I had XP back.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dorothy,

this is a pretty simplistic suggestion but I forget how things work when I haven't used them for awhile.

Open Dress Shop - go to the file menu & ask it to load pattern. It should give you a list of folders & in the folders patterns.

In MPD (You have it open) go to file menu & ask it to import pattern again you should have a list of folders with lists of patterns inside. Hope that helps.

Carol

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dorothy Rudkin:
I have not used DS7 recently, but I did transfer my DS patterns to MPD. Now I cannot open any pattern in DS7. I get the message "Windows cannot open file, needs to know what program you want to use to open it".
All the DS patterns show this message.
Are there any solutions to this, has anyone else encountered the same problem. I am using Windows Vista but wish I had XP back.
Hi Dorothy,did you search in windows for an anwer to this problem?Im not a hundred percent sure here,but I have had this problem before,but I can't remmeber what it was needed to allow windows to open that file.I hope you find the answer soon its frustrating.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have vista but XP. So am assuming you can do the same in Visa as in XP. In window explorer right click on one of the DS pattern files and then click on properties. Then open with button and select your MPD program. Now all DS patterns will open in MPD.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not have vista but XP. So am assuming you can do the same in Visa as in XP. In window explorer right click on one of the DS pattern files and then click on properties. Then open with button and select your MPD program. Now all DS patterns will open in MPD.

This can work, but does nothing useful. You can always run MPD and load any DS pattern using the File - Load Pattern option. That works quite as well as what you suggest here.

However, there are two limitations to this:

1. All Options will be disabled or incorrect.

2. Most DS patterns are not in a saved PAT file form. In Dress Shop, most patterns are generated interally by the menu / initialization code. To get those patterns into a form that MPD can load, you need to draft the patter in DS, then Save it to create the PAT file that MPD can load. But, it will then have bad options once loaded in MPD.

You can get around both of these problems by exporting from DS (which creates saved PAT files from all of your owned DS pattens), then import in MPD (which gets all of your pattern options setup properly).

All other shortcuts or alternatives produce much less satisfactory results.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Board Administor,

I have a similar question, well a little similar.
When I was having some problems within the last week I email with a problem report. Well that is fixed, I somehow was using a different measurement...my fault.

So not being able to properly use MPD with the other measurements...I went into DS & constructed a pattern for a nice shirt. Now I'm thinking & wondering if I could export that one pattern, as I've already exported the other patterns?
Does this mean I can just export that one pattern? Any help will be appreciated. YOur answer below may help my problem. I'll have to try it & see or wait for your answer. Anxious here. lol

Barbara
(Bobbieann)
DS 7.2 MPD 7.01 & almost everything else.

<This can work, but does nothing useful. You can always run MPD and load any DS pattern using the File - Load Pattern option. That works quite as well as what you suggest here.

However, there are two limitations to this:

1. All Options will be disabled or incorrect.

2. Most DS patterns are not in a saved PAT file form. In Dress Shop, most patterns are generated interally by the menu / initialization code. To get those patterns into a form that MPD can load, you need to draft the patter in DS, then Save it to create the PAT file that MPD can load. But, it will then have bad options once loaded in MPD.

You can get around both of these problems by exporting from DS (which creates saved PAT files from all of your owned DS pattens), then import in MPD (which gets all of your pattern options setup properly).

All other shortcuts or alternatives produce much less satisfactory results.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aauuuggghh.

Sorry I forgot to add these to my post.
My Pattern Designer Pro Version 1.09
& Drafting Engine Version 7.01

TIA,
Barbara
(Bobbieann)

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went into DS & constructed a pattern for a nice shirt. Now I'm thinking & wondering if I could export that one pattern, as I've already exported the other patterns?
Does this mean I can just export that one pattern?

You cannot export patterns that you have changed and saved. You can only export the default patterns in from the main Dress Shop menus. Sorry...

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Board Administrator.

I thought that I wouldn't be able to export one pattern, but I wasn't sure. I'll just make it over in MPD. No biggie.

Thanks also for the quick response.
Bobbieann in N. E. GA.