Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Problem with 7.1-Vista-new computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with 7.1-Vista-new computer
 Login/Join

posted
My old faithful laptop crashed. I bought a replacement with Vista Home Premium and I just installed the full download of 7.0 then the update to 7.1. I have not had the monitor issues with Mia mentioned before but the program keeps closing for some reason on its own. Has this been reported before? I have not been keeping up with the list of late but since I had to reinstall I just ran into this issue. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 10 | Location: Rock Hill SC | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
My old faithful laptop crashed. I bought a replacement with Vista Home Premium and I just installed the full download of 7.0 then the update to 7.1. I have not had the monitor issues with Mia mentioned before but the program keeps closing for some reason on its own. Has this been reported before? I have not been keeping up with the list of late but since I had to reinstall I just ran into this issue.

We have not heard of that problem before, I'm afraid. But, with Vista, I am not surprised. When it closes, do you get any error message of any kind? Is anything in particular going on when the program closes such as printing, loading a pattern, or saving?

Windows Vista includes a wide assortment of new and very obnoxious security features that can interfere with the normal things that you wish to do on your computer (like loading, saving, or printing things) and it could just be a security setting that needs to know that your own programs (like Dress Shop) should not be restricted.

I should admit that my own experience with Windows Vista is limited and all bad. I truly dislike that operating system with its intrusive security, difficult setup, hidden settings and unhelpful help files. I also recently purchased a new laptop with Vista on it and have stopped using it. It was just too annoying to get anything done. I realize that does not help your situation, but just wanted to encourage others to avoid Vista as long as you can. I would hope that it's more obnoxious rough edges will be improved upon at some point. For now, though, Vista owners will just have to slog through the nonsense and try to get their system setup so that it does not interfere too much with what they use their computers for.

If you can describe what you were doing when Dress Shop shut down, we or others might be better able to suggest which settings to try....

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was doing a variety of things and each time the message was the same--the projectstart had to close and the program had to shut down. Thanks again for your help.

I am afraid I have to agree with you about Vista. I have had nothing but a headache since I purchased it but frankly I couldn't find anything with any other version on it that I could afford.

P.S., I ran into the same thing when I downloaded MPDPro and tried using it.

Linda B.

Posts: 10 | Location: Rock Hill SC | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I wish I had brought the Vista Pro HP tower from NY with me but I left it at my summer home. I had similiar problems with Vista and did several things by trial and error which I don't recall the exact sequence or proceedure of.
What I remember is:
during any download and install of any program:

1. I had to turn off my firewall and turn down my anti virus settings to Low.
2 I had to go to download manager and change the default settings.

I found that charts and patterns were often plugged into wrong folders and once I found them and properly placed them in their own folders I was ok.

Once I changed those settings on the download manager I did not have future issues. Btw I did leave my security settings on low to Medium without issue but I dont open stuff form unknown sources.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kaaren, thank you for the reply. I had responded to Peggy Sue in a private email that updates from Windows Vista had fixed the problem, but I just tried MPD again and the same problem occurred when I had been in it a few minutes. I am always reluctant to fool with settings, so I would appreciate anymore specific info you can remember. I do hope I can resolve this issue. Thanks again for your response!

Peggy Sue, I sent you a reply separately to a private email that things were working, but I tried it again and the same thing happened. I'm back to the "oh well" stage. I will try fixing the measurement set when I get my correct measurements and let you know if it does or does not rectify the problem.

Thank you both!

posted Hide Post
One way I have found to get around a lot of the problems (mainly security interference) on Vista, is to turn of the user account control.
Go to control panel>user accounts and family safety>user accounts> turn user account control on or off and make sure that 'user account control' is unchecked. this was the one thing that I had no use for, that kept interfering with installing a lot of programs. Supposedly it is to stop hackers from installing unwanted programs on your computer, but I have other software that stops that which works a lot better and doesn't interfere with normal use of the computer.
Another thing you can try is to run it in compatibility mode, right click on the icon on your desktop for the program, click on properties, go to the compatibility tab, where you can set the program to run in compatibility mode for windows xp. Or you may have to run it as administrator. But I found that turning off the user account control gave me control back over my computer.

Marianne

Marianne Gallant
Win xp sp2, all livingsoft software, latest versions.
www.yarnshop.ca

Posts: 10 | Location: Vernon, BC Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dollcreator for the suggestions. I tried both suggestions. Unfortunately they did not quite do the magic trick for me.

I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks again for your suggestions.

posted Hide Post
I had this problem for awhile with both MPD and DS on both my desktop and laptop. I don't remember exactly when it started but kept on sending the auto message to MS and haven't had the problem since the last Windows update. Do you suppose they are really listening? Surely hope it doesn't start again. You might want to make sure your system has the latest updates.

Linda wrote:

I was doing a variety of things and each time the message was the same--the projectstart had to close and the program had to shut down. Thanks again for your help.

I am afraid I have to agree with you about Vista. I have had nothing but a headache since I purchased it but frankly I couldn't find anything with any other version on it that I could afford.

P.S., I ran into the same thing when I downloaded MPDPro and tried using it.

Linda B.

Joan in Concord, CA
Dress Shop Educator
WinXP, Epson CX6400
Dress Shop Pro Suite and all add-ons and tools

Posts: 45 | Location: End of message | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the encouragement. After the last and the fantastic upgrade for DS & MPD, I played around for quite a while but it did ultimately do the same thing in MPD. DS allowed all of my files to export without shutting down, so hopefully between everything it is improving.