New
Find
Notify
Tools

knit fabric
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,

I'm new and I have a question. I have to make a dress for a client out of a gold stretch knit fabric. It stretches about 42%. I don't want to cut into the fabric until I do a sample and fit it on her. I bought a knit that is about 100% stretch. Once I get the fit in the 100% knit how can I then get that same in the 42% knit? Since Dress Shop adjust the pattern according to the percentage of knit. What do I need to do to make it fit her correctly.

Thanks a bunch.
WillieMae

Posts: 9 | Location: gcefashions@aol.com | Registered: 26 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Willie the fashion fabric knit is 42% the toile fabric is 100%.the toile(test garment) will bag considerably compared to the end products fabric by comparison- tighten the toile up and the final product will be too tight.

Another way to view this is your cliet wants a fitted garment yet you make the toile for it from a semi or relaxed fit-

There will be something like a net ~5%(+/-) around body change in width. I wouldnt do it- try and get soemthing closer to test in like a 40-50% range stretch and don't "over fit the test garment.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kaaren.

Posts: 9 | Location: gcefashions@aol.com | Registered: 26 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post