Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    installing dressshop 6 H E L P
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

installing dressshop 6 H E L P
 Login/Join

posted
I have lost my computer, extra harddrive, and dvd backup.
That means that dresshop 5 is gone forever.
That means dresshop 5,18- I never could use 5,19.

On my new XP sp2 computer with 1 GB ram videocard 256, I should be well equiped to install dresshop 6.

However, I downloaded dresshop6,09 ( antivirus closed) installed with all programs closed and rebooted. Tried dresshop and could see Mia but no patterns-only a blank screen. Hitting any button I got an error message.

I uninstalled and deleted everything and downloaded again with the same result-nada.
I put in my codes via the program to file a program error report. Have heard nothing.

Is there anybody out there, who have kept a copy of dresshop downloadmaster 10 with 18 install and patch 18b ?
And kept it where it would be possible to download it?????
Please contact me: hannesandberg@oreka.com

I have a high speed connection. but am not sure if my server will let me receive 100mb emails.

PS I am extremely happy with dresshop never have had any fit problems, but I no longer have working copy so please H E L P

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Downloading and Installing

1. Before downloading DS program and updates, be sure to disable antivirus program AND your popup stopper, and close all other programs that may be open in the background.

2. Save file to specific folder on your hard drive or to your desktop. Scan with antivirus program before clicking to install, if you wish. Click on downloaded file to install.

3. Reboot your computer, preferably a cold boot (turn totally off, then on again). Then open the program.

4. Never uninstall and reinstall Dress Shop without specific instruction from Livingsoft Northwest Support.

5. Windows XP SP2 has a firewall, and so may your antivirus program. Make sure settings within these programs, and other popup stopper programs are not in conflict. Turn them all off when downloading Dress Shop.

Hanne, please contact support@livingsoftnw.com to review your uninstall and reinstall and help you sort it out and correct the problem.

Good luck! Diane

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for answering.
I am aware, that I have both a firewall and an antivirus, and a popup blocker with Windows sp.

I had turned all off.
The reason that I uninstalled was in the event, that I had a bad download. Yes I deleted the first downloaded file.

My cry for help here is because I have contacted support with no reaction, and no reaction to my error report.

I will try again.

I am still open for an offer for dresshop 5.18

posted Hide Post
Microsoft may not let you simply delete a downloaded file and be done with it; sometimes it won't even let you download the same file name twice. After deleting the downloaded file did you clear your cache and delete temporary files and look for all things Dress Shop, and check your Windows Registry, etc., before trying fresh ful build? What should seem a simple process may not end up being that--that's why it is not recommended to uninstall and reinstall.

Not sure what you're saying about "offer for dresshop 5.18." On the Downloads page http://www.livingsoftnw.com/Downloads.htm the Dress Shop Family Full Build is for Build 5.26 and/or 6.09 (released 5/05/2005). Same full build download, just enter DS5 codes.

posted Hide Post
On my old XP I never could install 5.19.
I asked for help to install, but never got the help needed to get it working.

However the 5.18 worked fine. Unluckily 5.18 is no longer on the website.
My thought was, that if I could get hold of 5.18, I could be up and running.

Yes, after uninstalling I made a search for everything related to Livingsoft and Dresshop, with hidden files included, and deleted them.

<DressShopBob>
posted
[QUOTE]

Posted 20 July 2005 06:43 AM
I have lost my computer, extra harddrive, and dvd backup.
That means that dresshop 5 is gone forever.
That means dresshop 5,18- I never could use 5,19.

On my new XP sp2 computer with 1 GB ram videocard 256, I should be well equiped to install dresshop 6.

However, I downloaded dresshop6,09 ( antivirus closed) installed with all programs closed and rebooted. Tried dresshop and could see Mia but no patterns-only a blank screen. Hitting any button I got an error message.
{/QUOTE]

Hello Hanne,

Two possibilities come to mind, one may be overly obvious, the other is very obscure:

1. When you downloaded and installed 6.09, you did that from the Downloads page, not the Updates page? The updates are to install on top of existing, working Dress Shop programs. For a complete, fresh install, you need to get your file from the Downloads page.

2. If #1 is not the issue, you should next check your system's regional settings. We have found that patterns will not draft if your computer has been set up to use a comma as a decimal point, rather than the period character used in the United States. As you are in France, that is likely to be the problem. To change this, go to Start - Control Panel - Regional Settings - Customize. First items is "Decimal Symbol". Set that to the period character. Save settings and rerun Dress Shop.

There is probably some way to instruct the system routines that Dress Shop uses so that it will work with the comma as a decimal point, but we have not been able to figure out how. Changing the user settings does work, however, as long as you know / remember to do it with every new computer you get.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob,
The period got me patterns.
Changing to centimeters got me a correct grid.
Dresshop is working beautifully again.

<Marilyn in Brisbane>
posted
I still have DS5_06-downloadmaster.exe, 35,568kb 13.10.03, DS5_75-downloadmaster.exe, 27,453kb 23.6.03 and DS5_18_update.exe, 14,951kg, 15.9.04, in my download files on my computer at work. Bob could tell us which files you need. My email is m.mccorry@qut.edu.au. What is yours?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted Jul 20, 7:01 PM
Thank you for answering.
I am aware, that I have both a firewall and an antivirus, and a popup blocker with Windows sp.

I had turned all off.
The reason that I uninstalled was in the event, that I had a bad download. Yes I deleted the first downloaded file.

My cry for help here is because I have contacted support with no reaction, and no reaction to my error report.

I will try again.

Posted Jul 20, 7:01 PM
Thank you for answering.

I had turned all off.

I will try again.

You may find the message from support in your isp's spam folder,its a new address I would suggest everyone add support@livingsoftnw.com to their address book ( or buddy list) depending on your isp's requirements so it is not snagged by a spam filter.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marilyn, I think Hanne is fixed now and working with v6.09, so now she can keep up with the latest updates.

Bob found a particular regional setting on her computer conflicted with Dress Shop drafting. A very interesting obscure issue indeed.

Tessa

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DressShopBob:
[QUOTE]

Posted 20 July 2005 06:43 AM

Tried dresshop and could see Mia but no patterns-only a blank screen. Hitting any button I got an error message.
{/QUOTE]

2. If #1 is not the issue, you should next check your system's regional settings. We have found that patterns will not draft if your computer has been set up to use a comma as a decimal point, rather than the period character used in the United States. As you are in France, that is likely to be the problem. To change this, go to Start - Control Panel - Regional Settings - Customize. First items is "Decimal Symbol". Set that to the period character. Save settings and rerun Dress Shop.

There is probably some way to instruct the system routines that Dress Shop uses so that it will work with the comma as a decimal point, but we have not been able to figure out how. Changing the user settings does work, however, as long as you know / remember to do it with every new computer you get.

Good one for the DS FAQ list, White Screen, Regional Settings Correction.