Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

uninstall DS???
 Login/Join

posted
I am having a real problem here. I recently downloaded DS7.04, and apparently because my antivirus was off for tht short time, a virus came along with the download.
I successfully uninstalled it and then tried to re install it with my anti virus turned on. Needless to say it came through improperly. I now have to have my poor little puter reformatted, but there is one problem here, I can't get the download, uninstalled. I was able to uninstall DS itself, but the blue download thingy will not uninstall Eeker
Can anyone tell me how to uninstall it so my son can reformat it for me?
I know I'm supposed to send in a problem report on some kind of a form, but there was no form in the "HELP" section.
Sorry to bother you here in the regular discussion area but I have nowhere else to gofor help!

Posts: 11 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bashful:
I am having a real problem here. I recently downloaded DS7.04, and apparently because my antivirus was off for tht short time, a virus came along with the download.
I successfully uninstalled it and then tried to re install it with my anti virus turned on. Needless to say it came through improperly. I now have to have my poor little puter reformatted, but there is one problem here, I can't get the download, uninstalled. I was able to uninstall DS itself, but the blue download thingy will not uninstall Eeker
Can anyone tell me how to uninstall it so my son can reformat it for me?
I know I'm supposed to send in a problem report on some kind of a form, but there was no form in the "HELP" section.
Sorry to bother you here in the regular discussion area but I have nowhere else to gofor help!
Go into your control panel and uninstall from there,you can of course just formatt and this will wipe your disc clean.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried uninstalling it from inside the control panel, and that is where it will not uninstall from!

Posts: 26 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't get the download, uninstalled. I was able to uninstall DS itself, but the blue download thingy will not uninstall

If you are going to reformat your computer, you do not need to uninstall anything. Just leave it. The reformat wipes everything.

If you are not actually reformatting, it is still not necessary to empty that list in your "Add / Remove Programs" list. Windows can get confused if you uninstall things in the wrong order. Actually, Windows can get confused about that list in many ways. But, it does not really matter. Uninstall what goes easily and ignore the rest. The huge amounts of disk space that list suggests are in use is always wrong. If you have several full builds and updates installed, that list will tell you that hundreds of megabytes are in use when actually the amount of the single largest install is all that is in use. All other others listed are modified copies, overlaid on top of the original and taking up no more space. Once you uninstall one, they are all gone, only appearing in that list and meaning nothing of consequence. Just ignore it. When you install again later, that single version will occcupy exactly the same amount of disk space no matter how many left over entries are in the "Add / Remove Programs" listing.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I send for a new disc and then reinstall from that after the reformat is done? After having caught the virus while my anti virus was turned off I would feel much safer doing it that way?

Posts: 11 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I send for a new disc and then reinstall from that after the reformat is done? After having caught the virus while my anti virus was turned off I would feel much safer doing it that way?

You can install from a CD if you prefer. They cost $10 for materials, shipping and handling. You can find them on the Livingsoft website, Help page here:

http://www.livingsoftnw.com/Support.htm

Near the bottom.

The download is considerably faster and easier, though. You should not need to disable your firewall or virus scanner when downloading. After the download, during the install, most virus scanners do not interfere there, either. I leave mine (McAfee) on during install and it causes no problems. There was a time when some virus software did interfere with installations, so the install program does advise they all be shut off. Frankly, though, I think that is old news and it is not needed any more.

One final note. During the 2 minutes that you are installing, with a virus scanner turned off, it is very unlikely that something on the Internet would detect your system is unprotected and infect you. Firewalls stop that kind of thing and you do not need to shut down your firewall. It is really far more likely that your virus came from some other source than this brief moment of decreased protection.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post