Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    left and right side measurements
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

left and right side measurements
 Login/Join

posted
How do I put in different left and right side measurements in dress shop if they are not the same?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sew if it were me- i would enter the longer side, the program will fix the measurements for you i think.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't. Usually we take the longer/larger measure and enter that. If you would do a left and right you would be emphasizing the discrepencies and asymmetry and have a heck of a time melding the two sides at center.

Asymmetric shoulders and hips are dealt with in construction- a thicker shoulder pad on a low shoulder, a blended seam allowance ( running thick thin) or a slightly different dart length for the larger/smaller breast.

The goal is to make the garment so the body wearing it looks most symmetric.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I put in different left and right side measurements in dress shop if they are not the same?

You can use two charts and print right side pattern pieces separately from left side. For things like arm or leg length differences, that should work fine. I'm not sure about all asymmetries, though. If you would care to discuss specifics privately, please email me at Bob @ LivingsoftNW.com (without the space characters).

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Kaaren. You absolutely must use two charts, a right and left, if there is more than about an inch of asymmetry. I've been doing this since DS 2.5 on the computer, and for 40 plus years by hand. If you don't allow for it, the skew will be very obvious. Any difference that can be fixed with a shoulder pad doesn't count as a difference. All of your center (front, back, aboove waist, below waist) measurements should be the same. Mark an arbitrary center line on your body, perpendicular to the floor, and make a set of right and a set of left measurements. When you actually make up the wearing garment, you may make one side a little looser and the other side a little tighter. No, you still will not be able to wear plaids, but my close sewing friends have no idea of how lopsided my hips and back are. Feel free to email me off list, and I will also be glad to discuss it on the phone.

Diane in Central Virginia
Computer Aided Threads
Livingsoft and Electric Quilt
Educator

Posts: 39 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK -I agree for extreme asymmetry which would require surgery to correct- but not for the average 1 to 1.5 inch shoulder tilt. I have noticed that users tend to get over fussy and consider a 1/2 ich to 3/4 inch difference hyper critical..and it should really be dealt with in construction.

IF the tilt is extreme and I have several users where I have used two charts- but the effort of keeping them on grain at center is a BIG job and not to be suggested lightly.

Often I make a template from timtex or heavy cardboard, even balsa wood to create an alignment plan..where the right and left side of the patetrns are printed, sliped onto the template andf then draw a gently curved line at both center front and center back (NO front lines do not have to be plumb bob straight)

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post