Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Widescreen
 Login/Join

posted
Having lost all my ability for DS and MPD for a few months, I am now thankfully back online and loving it. The thing I don't love is my widescreen laptop and the way it distorts my DS patterns. I have heard that some computers can do the widescreen and the regular screen according to your choice. I have also heard that the software plays an important part in being able to get a realistic view. The widescreen makes my patterns even shorter and wider than I am in real life - yuk! Is there any way the software is programmed to prevent this distortion, or do I just have to live with it? Thanks, Kelly

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KellyLoftice:
... The thing I don't love is my widescreen laptop and the way it distorts my DS patterns. I have heard that some computers can do the widescreen and the regular screen according to your choice ... do I just have to live with it? Thanks, Kelly

Kelly -

I have a Toshiba laptop with a wide screen. There is no difference in my DS pattern pieces between that and my Desktop monitor except that the individual pattern pieces are spread further apart on the screen. The one inch grid is still square on both screens and the grid count is correct so the pattern pieces are identical.

Are your grid squares not displaying as square? Are they rectangles? I guess what I'm saying is that it works on my Toshiba as it came straight out of the box so maybe you need to look for a setting on your Dell.

Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the screen resolution under your Display settings. 1024x768 is a common setting, yours could be different. I haven't heard before that any display setting distorts the patterns. Have you set yours to something other than default? You might also check with the company that supports your laptop about the proper screen resolution for your laptop.

Wider screens are commonly used in web browsing so you can have a reference frame on the left and the normal screen on the right.

Diane

quote:
The thing I don't love is my widescreen laptop and the way it distorts my DS patterns. I have heard that some computers can do the widescreen and the regular screen according to your choice.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The resolution is what you suggested, but I haven't measured the squares of the grid. I'll do that then report back. Thanks

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have DS on my laptop but not the pc. On the laptop in Vicki's response, the first line ends with "Desktop monitor". On this pc, the first line ends with "DS pattern. That's a lot of extra stuff on the screen!! I did go onto the laptop and check the resolution, et al, rebooted, and it seemed to look a little more realistic than before. Thanks for your help, Kelly

posted Hide Post
Kelly, when you're comparing the length of one text line from one computer screen size to another, differences may result not only from display settings but also the browser font size. On my 1024x768, for example, I can get the same line ending as your laptop ("Desktop monitor") if I go to View, Text Size, Smallest. On this monitor I use the Smaller IE browser text size, not the smallest. That's my comfort setting, yours may be different. I would suggest your adjusting each monitor for what is comfortable for you, not to make them match. Different settings are to be expected because the monitors are different sizes. Leaving settings at default until you get used to how they work with different programs you use might be a good idea.

Diane

quote:
I have DS on my laptop but not the pc. On the laptop in Vicki's response, the first line ends with "Desktop monitor". On this pc, the first line ends with "DS pattern.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I suppose what really makes me crazy is to have to turn my head from side to side to accommodate my no-line bifocals. Reading is no longer a pleasure because of bobblehead action.LOL