Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

swimsuit elastic
 Login/Join

posted
there are no instructions for how to measure and insert the elastic around the leg or neck openings of a swimsuit and there also isn't anything for inserting bra cups.
can someone help me please.
fran

Posts: 1 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been working on swimsuits - using the Singer reference library book on swimming & active wear and my Stretch & Sew swimsuit book as sources..........as well as a Kwik Sew pattern instruction sheet (what can I say - they write pretty good instructions!).

The elastic on the front leg opening is applied 1" of elastic to 1" of leg opening. The back is cut at 3/4 of the length and stretched to apply 3/4" of elastic to every 1" of fabric along the back.

The arm openings are also done at the 1" elastic to 1" fabric.

The neckline opening elastic is cut 1" to 3" shorter to snug the neckline in against the body and stretched as it is zig-zagged into place before turning and top stitching. You might have to pin it in to see if it needs to be trimmed a bit shorter.

Check your local library in the 646.xx (Dewey Demimal) for the various Singer Sewing Reference Library books........or see about an inter-library loan to see if it helps. There are lots of photos make for easy to understand instructions. If the book is a help - see if you can find a copy for sale. It comes in handy when sewing nights and weekends or holidays when the library is closed..........

Renee G

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swimsuit leg, arm hole and or neck elastic is cut slightly less than the around leg measurement. You increase the stretch on the back more than front. Its a matter of practice and your choice of *elastic will determine both the measurement and degree of stretch. I suggest you do a sample on a piece of scrap to both practice and see the result.

* elastic can be 1/4 to 3/8ths width- clear, swim suit "rubber", lingerie elastic,each ahs slightly different properties, and degree of stretch. No one "rule" applies to all.

The cup insertion and construction details with photos in the Help>help Index articles> topic >activewear, article> How to Construct your swim suit.

Kaaren

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone! I haven't been on the boards for a very long time, but thought I'd check to see what's happening.

I have sewn skating dresses for years, and one of the problems with the leg elastic was riding up and exposing butt cheeks, so you would see skaters going around pulling down the dress at the fanny. These dresses are constructed the same as bathing suits and leotards, so maybe the method I use would work for you.

One skate mom showed me a trick that made inserting the elastic a no brainer. I don't even measure the elastic! Start at the side seam. If you are going in the direction that starts with the back, Secure the elastic on the first couple of stitches (in a 2 or 3-step zigzag), then pull the elastic so that it's stretched all the way. I also use the wider 3/8" swimsuit elastic because it tends not to roll. When you get to the crotch seam, let go of the elastic and apply it flat with no tension. This helps to keep the elastic from cutting into the groin area. Continue laying the elastic on the front without pulling until you get back to the side seam and finish off.

This has worked for me with all sorts of different bodies. The butt cups nicely and there's no riding up. However, I think Kaaren's method might be best particularly for those with flat butts because all the pucker with my method is in the back and the flat-butt people don't have enough to fill it out. With the skaters I've had with little butts, I took in a tuck. The seam was hidden by the skirt, or I'd have to alter the pattern to take out the extra material in the butt. But this is just another method to choose from. Whatever works for you, right? 8-)

Connie
DS Pro with all the fixin's

Posts: 9 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post