Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    DS Measurement Chart printing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DS Measurement Chart printing
 Login/Join

posted
The addition of the line "These measurements are for a Doll/Woman/Man" and the spacing between that line and the top line of printing on the page are what has caused this chart to now extend printing beyond one page. As I said in a different post, the only way to get it on one page unless/until this is changed is to eliminate header/footer in IE and change IE top/bottom margin to .25 inch or less.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, uhuh, it still prints on 2 pages, even with a margin of 0, as in printing on continuous paper�. And I don�t think it really necessary to have a 1.5 inch top margin on all first pages of columns, because that often just puts the printed hem cutting line of pants on a new page, which means that really 99% of that page is wasted. And yes, it is an environmental concern, as well as cost. I end up throwing out lots of pages, because all that is printed on them are alignment numbers, and not much else. Sometimes I think I end up throwing out 25% of a box of paper of 1500 pages, just because it was printed with alignment numbers and nothing else, and it is rather difficult to re-use continuous feed paper, since you would have to tape each page individually together again�..with no guarantee that it works. This is also a problem with a lot of tops printing with a full page more in length than is needed, and there seem to be no settings to change that, I already print with 0 margins top and bottom.
It also is a bit bothersome to try and compare 25% printouts when making adjustments when you have to print your pattern on 2 pages, just because it starts printing 1.5inches from the top of the paper. If it printed 0.5 inch or less, it would fit on one sheet, which is much easier to compare.
Diane, I think that maybe you have to watch what you defend, sometimes it is not in our best interests to state that there is nothing to be done about it, because then Bob and the other programmers won't even look at it. Some of the complaints are legitimate, and should be fixed.

Marianne Gallant
Vernon, BC Canada
http://www.yarnshop.ca
mgb@shaw.ca

Marianne Gallant
Win xp sp2, all livingsoft software, latest versions.
www.yarnshop.ca

Posts: 10 | Location: Vernon, BC Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marianne, I was addressing only the DS Measurement chart page printing on a single page of 8.5x11 paper in DS build 6.14 and that's why I started a new thread. Anyone who can set 0 or .25 inch margins in IE and delete header and footer in the IE page setup can get the measurement chart in DS6.14 on a single 8.5x11 page. I use "smaller" size font in IE but I didn't check to see if changing that would make any difference on that page.

I've also reported my findings about the printing of the DS measurements page to support@livingsoftnw.com and maybe after the holidays PeggySue can take a look.

Continuous feed printing is a different setup from letter size printing. If you are having trouble with that setup I'm sure PeggySue would be happy to help you after the holiday.

quote:
Diane, I think that maybe you have to watch what you defend, sometimes it is not in our best interests to state that there is nothing to be done about it, because then Bob and the other programmers won't even look at it. Some of the complaints are legitimate, and should be fixed.

Well, Marianne, I wish you had been more specific. I am not happy with the measurement chart and quarter scales taking two pages either. That is why I took time to experiment and offer an interim suggestion for those who might want to print a measurement chart on one page now. It is why I took time to look into what might be causing the problem and wrote up a report about my findings and sent it to support@livingsoftnw. I took the time because I'd like it corrected just as much as anyone. I am hoping that when PeggySue gets an opportunity to look at my report she'll put it in language the programmers need, in order to identify what may be causing the problem. If we get "lucky" maybe by some fluke the pattern shifting lower on the page will be addressed at the same time.

FYI, I have just learned the issues about the Page Setup dialog settings not sticking IS on the fix list. This is another example that the programmers DO listen to users.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it printed 0.5 inch or less, it would fit on one sheet, which is much easier to compare
---
Print margins are not set in a manner to annoy anyone wishing to save paper. There are reasons for the decision to set things as they are.

There are not only many available printerts from a huge variety of countries world wide, but different paper settings and sizes.

Here in the states we use 8.5 by 11 paper, Europe mostly uses A4, both metric and inch settings are used. and not always easily cmade compatible.

Some printers wont go to less than 1/2 inch margins.

and If a pattern should include such items as a long dress on a tall woman, or even full length pants on someone needing more than a 44 inch long garment then the page overlap for multiple pages would require an overlap to set the registration marks properly.

Im only 5' yet I can need a total garment length of over 44/4=11 less margins should I select a long dress.

Considering all the possible iterations,users needs, printing parameters has resulted in the set up we use.

Print margins should not change based on the specific draft. But remain constant for all drafts.

My quarter scales begin exactly 1 inch down from the top edge of 8.5 by 11 paper.

My margins can be set to 0.25 top and bottom and left right to 0.5 and stick.

If doing just 1/4 scales you can go in and remove hem allowances and that will clear 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the length of any printed 1/4 scale garment.Just make sure to set it back to a reasonable hem amount for the specified garment for full scale. That will OFTEN allow a one page print when there is an overlap. Often just removing seam allowances "clears" the pattern piece to a single page.

The extra line denoting gender/child has pushed the chart past a single page to get just the around head measurment on. When printing a chart note the around head measurement, print the 1st page and write in the around head.

That extra line changes the draft in the case of mens or womens.its not just a "chart entry" the men's chart will provide a men's draft with different allowances for such things as shoulder extension and neck depth. So it is not just a label.

I hope this improves understanding and offers those concerned with 2 page printing a work around.
Kaaren

Making the font size smaller will bring more screams than using a second piece of paper on the rare occassion one needs to print a chart.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post