Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Discrepancy in measurements
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discrepancy in measurements
 Login/Join

posted
For three days, I have been trying to send an error report, but it will not do anything, so here is the problem:
6.16 XPPro DSPro Fit 1,2
The computer screen with grid on gives me numbers that match my measurements. With the fitted pant I have selected standard fit. I print out my pattern and the measurements from seamline to seamline are:
front ab 20.75 - actually 20.5
front hip 21.5 - actually 20.5
front crotch extension 2.5 - actually 2.25
front mid thigh 9.58 - actually 10.63
front knee 6.08 - actually 9.5
front ankle 3.92 - actually 7.125

Options I use are:
length adjust 2"
hem circumference 17"
hem depth 2"

I am perplexed as to why the hip and ab are so much smaller where I really don't need them to be smaller.

Sorry for the length, but the Problem Report route option hasn't worked for me for three days. I don't know if I'm not sending or you're not accepting. Thanks

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For three days, I have been trying to send an error report, but it will not do anything, so here is the problem:
6.16 XPPro DSPro Fit 1,2
The computer screen with grid on gives me numbers that match my measurements. With the fitted pant I have selected standard fit. I print out my pattern and the measurements from seamline to seamline are:
I am perplexed as to why the hip and ab are so much smaller where I really don't need them to be smaller.

Hello Kelly,

I cannot tell without a problem report and I'll tell you why. But, first, I have been receiving problem reports from both DS and MPD. I sent one from each program to myself this morning and both arrived within moments.

If your problem reports are not getting sent, then perhaps you have some security setting or program on your computer that prevents that. There are anti-spyware programs and Firewalls that can prevent outgoing emails or web contacts. I do not know what settings to recommend you look at, but that just shutting off your firewall and any spyware programs while you send a report might tell you if the probelm is there or not.

Now, two other topics. First, of all the numbers you included, you did not include the Floor To Waist values. Those would show whether or not you have any waist tilt (as most people do). And, if you do, the next question would be - when you counted grids on the pattern from side seam to side seam for ab width, did you measure at the angle of the ab line or just horizontally on the pattern? Those distances are NOT the same. DS and MPD use the angled line. Some users do not measure their ab at that angle and almost nobody that is counting grids on the printed pattern thinks to count them at that angle. Too hard.

And, that leads me to my last point. I virtually never try to analyze a problem that exists only on the pattern. If you have a muslin that is too tight at the ab or hip, then you have something worth pursuing. Can you fix it by increasing that measurement? If so, then you can be done quickly. But, if you are staring at paper and counting grids and comparing with numbers, then you will quickly get lost in the fact that those reference lines are very approximately placed in some cases. Where should the thigh line go? The bicep line? The back bust line? DS does not have measurements for these positions. Those lines are placed approximately. They are there to provide some information, but they are not any gold standard that a pattern should be judged by.

A muslin or finished garment is what you need to judge by. And, if what you are doing is working on your measurements, then you should make a muslin, try it on, and adjust your measurements. You will get results that way that are are more useful and effective than trying to understand the inner workings of pattern drafting that uses approximations for some positions.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason for measuring the paper pattern from seamline to seamline in comparison to looking at the screen was because of the muslin. I could barely get into it. It was smaller than any sloper I have ever made, so I assumed it was a 6.16 thing. We measured everything according to the printed lines, angled and straight.
BTW - I have posted under the freezing computer topic, which may hold an answer to some of my problems I have been having this weekend and this morning.
Thanks for helping

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check that you must have your internet service providor running to send a problem report.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to send a DS problem report too. Does the browser have to be running BEFORE you send the report, or does DS wake it up like it does to get to the website for other reasons?

I'll go disable the spyware etc and try again.

Kathy

Posts: 81 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason for measuring the paper pattern from seamline to seamline in comparison to looking at the screen was because of the muslin. I could barely get into it. It was smaller than any sloper I have ever made, so I assumed it was a 6.16 thing. We measured everything according to the printed lines, angled and straight.

The answer is quite simple. The Dress Shop pants sloper is a fitted pant silhouette. The MPD one is a slim fit pants silhouette. They are different. You should read the article from the MPD newsletter about those differences at:

MPD Pants Fit Adjustments

quote:
BTW - I have posted under the freezing computer topic, which may hold an answer to some of my problems I have been having this weekend and this morning.

If your system locks up when you use your Windows control panel to do anything at all with your printer, then you have a problem with your printer driver. MPD has nothing to do with printer drivers. Ever. MPD asks Windows to print and Windows does the rest. Same with Dress Shop.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still trying to send a DS problem report too. Does the browser have to be running BEFORE you send the report, or does DS wake it up like it does to get to the website for other reasons?

You must be connected to the Internet BEFORE you trigger a problem report.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
I turned it all off and tried twice more. I can send email and get directly to LSNW and MPD's websites without turning Norton off, but problem reports just sit there with or without it. Your popups aren't blocked, either, so it's not that I'm not getting notified.

Kathy

posted Hide Post
I use cable internet, so I'm always connected, but when I turned off the security I also opened IE before sending the report. No soap.

Kathy

posted Hide Post
Must be running! or its not gonna send anything anywhere.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been sending them the way I have always sent them. Since installing MPD they just sit there.

posted Hide Post
I tried again with IE on (it was on already), Norton disabled, and could not send a report from either MPD or DS 6.16. Nothing happens at all. Then I tried again from my old computer which still has 6.092 on it, and there I at least got a page not found response (still going to livingsoft, not livingsoftnw, so no luck there, either.)

Kathy Warner

posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried again with IE on (it was on already), Norton disabled, and could not send a report from either MPD or DS 6.16. Nothing happens at all. Then I tried again from my old computer which still has 6.092 on it, and there I at least got a page not found response (still going to livingsoft, not livingsoftnw, so no luck there, either.)

I just sent another. It arrived instantly.

All I can tell you is that if Dress Shop is sending them and the server is forwarding them (both of which I have just confirmed again), then there is nothing else I can do to figure out what about your system or your Internet Service Provider does not support this.

I'm sorry, but if Dress Shop (or MPD) had broken code (which I could then fix), then mine would not send either. If mine sends, then it is not something that I can fix for you.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
quote:
I use cable internet, so I'm always connected, but when I turned off the security I also opened IE before sending the report. No soap.

I received a problem report from you at 3:48 this afternoon. Perhaps you could share what you did differently to get it to go.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
I have DS on two computers. I upgraded the old one from 6.092 to 6.14, since I still had the installer for that, and sent the report from 6.14. They are on the same network and the same internet connection.

Kathy