Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    DS8 pattern problemS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DS8 pattern problemS
 Login/Join

posted
Since the problem report would require me to submit 14 separate problem reports for what I am encountering I'm loading it here. If measurement charts or patterns files are needed then I will need an address I can attach files to.

Her goes: Over the years I have purchased every DS pattern set there is ans downloaded some patterns that were made available free also. I opened a patterns that presented me with a problem. I checked all of the patterns that I have created individually with the following results:
Measurement file is New Dad measurements 2.mea

1. Mole_Skin_Jacket_1.pat Program is telling me that I do not own this pattern but it will be opened in preview. I own this and have printed the pattern and made a jacket from it.
2. 08-13-06_Long_Sleeved_dress_shirt.pat Is opened as a floor length dress.
3. Lon_sleeved_dress_shirt.pat s opened as a floor length dress.
4. Button front coat.pat openes as a floor length woman's coat but should be a man's waist length coat.
5. Polar_fleece_jacket_test.pat Program is telling me that I do not own this pattern but it will be opened in preview. I own this and have printed the pattern and made a jacket from it.
6. PJs.pat is mapped as women's pajamas instead of a man's I have made five pair of these before DS8 they mapped correctly before.
7. class robe.pat comes up as a woman's robe to a man's measurements.
8. Dress_Shirt_5.pat maps as a woman's short sleeve shirt instead os a man's
9. Hanky Fitted Blouse.pat This was a free pattern during DS 5 or 6 Program is telling me that I do not own this pattern but it will be opened in preview.
10. man's_vest.pat maps as a floor length sleeveless v neck dress instead of a man's waist length button front vest.
11. Men's_bathrobe.pat maps as a woman's robe.
12. men's_kimono_robe.pat Program is telling me that I do not own this pattern but it will be opened in preview. I own this and have printed the pattern and made three robes from it.
13. Two-Point Poncho.pat This was a free pattern during the DS 5 or 6 Program is telling me that I do not own this pattern but it will be opened in preview.
14. Walking_Jacket.pat opens with broken Mia when it should be Mark - minor issue the pattern appears to map correctly.

Thanks
Mr. Pat

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
1. A problem report would include the acivation codes you have in effect and that, in turn, would make clear what you have and have not activated. We certainly get enough problem reports with hand entered codes in them that were entered incorrectly. While that may or may not be your problem, the problem report will certainly show us why a pattern is opened as "not owned". Nothing you write in an email or forum post can show that.

2. Older saved patterns may or may not have been saved with your current account number. If that is not the case, a problem report (which includes a copy of the the saved pattern file including the customer account it belongs to), would make that clear.

3. You need not send in 14 reports. Send one and let's see what you have wrong. It probably applies to some of the others.

4. If a pattern you have saved under a separate name appears in some length you do not remember saving it with, we probably cannot help you. I can tell you what a default pattern's length should be, but not a saved pattern that may be any length you set it to.

5. The difference between whether a pattern drafts to male standards or female standards depends solely on the chart used when it is loaded.

6. The illustration used (Mia or Marc) when a pattern is loaded will usually be Mia. The Mia pictures include illustation art and can properly illustrate more of the options and settings. Marc is used upon occasion, but his art is less complete, so is not used as much. Please do remember, though, that the product that Dress Shop provides is custom fit sewing patterns, not pictures of Marc.

7. Most of the patterns you ask about are not Dress Shop default patterns, but something that you made and saved, so I cannot comment on whether they are right or wrong or why they may have changed without looking at the pattern. I tried to load a "Men's Vest", for instance, and found no pattern in the men's outerwear folder that behaved as the one you describe.

I think that is about as much as I can tell you from a report like this. Sorry...

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried several times to send a problem report. I even uninstalled all versions of DS ren my registry cleaner and then reinstalled DS8_01. I am getting the following error message when I click send:

A potentially dangerous Request.form value was detected from the client (Product Name ="...s Shop Pro<br> and Doll Shop DE..."

If I could copy and paste I would arrange to send you the entire output for this error but the message window won't allow that.

Thanks,
Pat

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
A potentially dangerous Request.form value was detected from the client (Product Name ="...s Shop Pro<br> and Doll Shop DE..."

If I could copy and paste I would arrange to send you the entire output for this error but the message window won't allow that.

This sounds like a system security blockage. There are many malicious programs out there, which when implanted on your computer by a virus or infected email, leave behind a trojan program that contacts the hacker site it came from and either allows access to your computer or turns your computer into a small bit of a huge Bot-net. Those usually help spammers send millions of emails.

In any case, to prevent such mal-ware from contacting the net without your permission, several different types of security software may monitor and block the effort of a program to contact the net directly. That is, of couse, exactly what Dress Shop does when it tried to send a problem report. I also thought that was what Dress Shop did when it fetched activation codes from the web site, but perhaps that process is different enough that your security software permits it. Not sure.

This sounds like Vista, perhaps? It's security settings generally tend to be more stringent than WinXP. In either case, though, you should start with your firewall settings. If you are using Windows' firewall, try Start - Control Panel - Security Center - Windows Firewall - Exceptions tab. If Dress Shop is not in the list of programs that have permission to contact the Internet, use the "Add Program" button to add it and check the box next to it to provide permission. These directions are for WinXP (the system I am on at the moment). I'll check with a Vista system and post directions for it if they are different.

And, you may not be using Windows Firewall. I use the McAfee firewall, for instance. I was not able to find where McAfee keeps its list of programs with outgoing Internet connection permissions, but I would think there must be one. But, I can't find it just now.

Each other firewall maker (there are many) would have some different procedure for providing outgoing Internet connect permissions for your applications. Whichever one you are using, you should either give Dress Shop permission or simply shut down the firewall when you want Dress Shop to be able to get out.

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have upgraded to DS8 and gewt the message about not owning the pattern when trying to load some free patterns that I had previously obtained from the livingsoft website. Those patterns are still on site but I cannot use them anymore. Many are Kaaren's free patterns.
I haven't tried my prviously saved patterns as my measurements have all changed for me & my kids, so I'm in the process of a new chart & will probably delete most old stuff.
Any idea when the new Pants part of the program will be available? November is almost over.

DS9, plus extras

Posts: 28 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have upgraded to DS8 and gewt the message about not owning the pattern when trying to load some free patterns that I had previously obtained from the livingsoft website. Those patterns are still on site but I cannot use them anymore. Many are Kaaren's free patterns.

I had forgotten those free patterns were still there. I found 4 of them, one from Kaaren and 3 from Carolyn Brown. If there are others, point me to the right page.

You're right that Dress Shop 8 does not load or display those patterns correctly. The lengths are all wrong, for instance. So, we'll need to revise the patterns to work with Dress Shop 8 and get them reposted.

I only found the one from Kaaren. Let me know if there are more.

posted Hide Post
The hanky hem fitted blouse and the two point poncho are two more of them. I have these and the program tells me I don't own them and they were free also.

Mr. Pat

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pat:
Since the problem report would require me to submit 14 separate problem reports for what I am encountering I'm loading it here. If measurement charts or patterns files are needed then I will need an address I can attach files to.

Her goes: Over the years I have purchased every DS pattern set there is ans downloaded some patterns that were made available free also. I opened a patterns that presented me with a problem. I checked all of the patterns that I have created individually with the following results...

Pat did send in separate problem reports for each of his problem patterns and I will work with him on some of those. But, there are several general comments that might apply to others:

1. When you send in a problem report, the saved pattern file is attached. But, we do not get the name of the saved file, nor the name of the original pattern it was made from. So, checking whether or not you own that pattern, it would help if you mention which pattern name it was.

2. In DS7 dresses, skirts, coats, and pants all had length options. But, Bloues and Jackets did not. With DS8, those patterns do now have length options (waist, ab, hip, thigh). When you load a default pattern, that length is set to some reasonable default value. But, when you load a saved pattern, we cannot do that as the length might be what the user wanted it to be, so we do not change it. With older, saved DS7 patterns, no length was specified when the pattern was saved and we cannot change the length as you load, so it gets some arbitrary, strange length. Just select the length you want at that time and resave it to fix that problem.

3. Similarly, options for curved hems, shirt tails, and such were added for many patterns in DS8. Previously saved DS7 patterns may not have this option set, so it comes up different than it was when you saved it. Again, default patterns can have this forced. Previously saved patterns you will have to set it yourself. It should take a few seconds at most.

4. The free patterns that were provided at various times over the years were all intended as learning tools, to show people how the settings worked. Since the tools and settings involved have all changed radically since those patterns were posted, they really are not very good teaching devices any longer. We need to figure out what we will do to replace those now very dated patterns and we'll let you know when we can. In the meantime, I am curious. Did anyone ever actually make garment from any of those old patterns? Or, just look at them and file them away. Just curious so we can figure out the best way to do such teaching examples in the future....

posted Hide Post
I thought I got everything worked out & nothing had changed on my MPD, it said shortcut 1 so I downloaded MPD 2.5 & now I only have the demo so how do I change that. Thanks
Sarah Trigg

Posts: 11 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retrieve your codes
files
settings
automatic retrieve codes
please wait while the connection is made and the program uses your registered email address and password to look up your account, get the codes and installs them in your program- this can take several minutes.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post