Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reference Pattern
 Login/Join

posted
I notice the Reference Pattern Option has changed. Can you still select a pattern vs the sloper to be the reference for other patetrns?

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tina,
I noticed that when we were testing that it had changed. Now instead of referencing another pattern, you can see the pattern with no ease.

I don't know about you, but I had mixed results using the show reference pattern before. I would not always get the pattern as drafted with all the extra ease I may have changed.

I would love to know how you used that tool in the past and how it will compare to now.
Wow, a compare and contrast issue, I will tell have to tell my daughter about this. Right now she is doing a compare/contrast paper of two books and she is not happy at all.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Vicki/K>
posted
I have not had time to play with this new Reference Pattern, but I like what I have seen so far.. I hope that the
other choice is put back though, too. I am a visual person and used the Other Reference Pattern quite often.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you go to view and reference pattern you can show that design with the pattern without extra ease. So you see the BLOCK for that pattern, or you can select sloper.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I notice the Reference Pattern Option has changed. Can you still select a pattern vs the sloper to be the reference for other patetrns?

While some people found this feature useful and always chose the small sample of patterns that it worked well for, others had problem after problem with it. Many of the newer patterns have unique design elements that conflicted with the drafting rules/data/needs of other patterns. So, those two could not be drafted at the same time. Selecting such patterns either failed totally, or drafted a really goofy reference that was of no use at all.

There were also problems mixing blouses with jackets, loungewear with anything, activewear with anything, and such confusion factors. Are leggings a pants pattern? They sure look like it, but they are categorized internally as activewear and that is a different pattern type than pants. Having a blouse as a reference for pants is silly enough that nobody ever tried it. But, having leggings be a reference for fitted pants was one that seemed more reasonable and it would not work either.

After too many reports to fix it fully, we abandoned that particular reference and added a new one in its place. Current garment with no ease might be useful. Time will tell.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki/K:
I have not had time to play with this new Reference Pattern, but I like what I have seen so far.. I hope that the
other choice is put back though, too. I am a visual person and used the Other Reference Pattern quite often.
Vicki, we visual people can still compare quarter scale printouts. Smiler

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally used the select other pattern a great deal. It allowed me to see the differenced from the current pattern to one I had chosen to compare.

I often want to compare one pattern to another to see the changes in the lines between them... just removing ease doesn't do the same thing.

I will learn to use whatever everyone else feels is best for the program, but I do see value in "the way it was".

Please don't misconstrue this message as a complaint. Just input about a change to a feature I liked.

Hugs,

Connie A - Princeville HI
Hat Shop 1.1update
Win XP Pro sp3 - IE 8 -
HPDJ wireless 6100 series

Posts: 101 | Location: Princeville, Hawaii (Kauai) | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But you can no longer compare one pattern to another? Like fitted overlayed on jeans? I used that a lot

posted Hide Post
In reply to Linda on how I used the tool and how it would compare to now:

I used the tool a lot to see design changes between patterns, esp in pants and tops. But it doesn't matter since that tool is now gone.

How will I use the new tool, I have no idea....when you now select fitted pant and then select Show current pattern with no design ease, I get the exact same pattern overlay, just without inseam ease, so that tells me there is no design ease at all in the fitted pant at standard fit level. If you choose casual or confort fit, it does overlay the standard fit level on top so you can see it visually vs just numbers in the fit tool....maybe this is important to some.

However, we have now lost the ability to COMPARE on screen one pattern to another to see what is different....like how does the leg on the fitted pant compare to the slim fit??? It was a huge seller in my workshops. I for one, am very disappointed it is gone. Just more paper to print and more comparing of 25% scales, more of my time and paper to design.....it is too bad.

posted Hide Post
You can make a comparison in Pattern Layout. Add the first pattern, then load the second and view it. It is not as good as what we could do in the past, but does give some idea of the differences between patterns.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tina and others. I used this tool a great deal. It was a far better view of the differences between patterns than viewing Mia's graphics, which do not really reflect the patterns.

Seeing only the block defaults with no ease does not allow us to view the shape differneces between patterns.

I hope they can put fixing that code back into a priority. This tool saves gobs of paper and time.

Hugs,

Connie A - Princeville HI
Hat Shop 1.1update
Win XP Pro sp3 - IE 8 -
HPDJ wireless 6100 series

Posts: 101 | Location: Princeville, Hawaii (Kauai) | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do agree that the loss of the reference pattern is extremely disappointing. Perhaps this decision to eliminate it should be reversed. I used the reference pattern more than I ever used the sloper as a reference simply because I could visually see the differences between my current design and a properly fitting previous design. Hopefully these customer comments will be listened to. Thanks very much. Wink

Kathy
DS 6 Pro, FD II & II, PD I, UO, UP,Fit Tool, All Patterns thru 1004, 1046, HD

Posts: 6 | Location: Phonix, AZ | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, for one, am dissappointed the show referrence pattern has changed. I don't think the no ease pattern will be at all useful to me. My problem is I would like to see crotch fit compared to what I know fits me, on most patterns and the pattern default sloper without my crotch adjustments does me no good. So I don't have a referrence pattern that shows me how the present pattern will fit in the crotch. If the sloper was MY sloper with MY crotch changes, I would be happy. As it is, showing the sloper that the program defaults to, is worthless to me, since it doesn't fit me. I need the sloper to be the one that are my crotch edits not the program defaults. I always used the fitted pants pattern for this. I know it was broke, but would sure like to use a pattern to show, on screen, what the fit will be like compared to my fitted pants in the crotch etc. Guess it is print out at 25% and check that way. Would sure like to see that comparison on screen though.

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post