Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Had to reformat hardrive and trying to reinstall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had to reformat hardrive and trying to reinstall
 Login/Join

posted
I originally purchased Dress Shop in 2006 and got the CD in case something happened and I had to reinstall. The Version on the CD Box say 6.09 but I was thinking it was 7.0 but that's not the problem. When I originally received the download for the program online the screen was limited to a small square in the upper left hand corner but the problem was cured by updating the program. It seems my CD has the same problem but now I cannot find where to update it from. The later updates do not seem to work and the earlier updates listed on this forum do not have working links. Can someone help me please?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 09 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have stopped supporting early versions of Dress Shop.The Windows programs have changed so much that they simply wont work properly on newer versions. You can upgrade to a current version at
http://www.livingsoftnw.com/

Make sure to sign in using your registered email account and password, then click on the Upgrades box in the upper right hand corner.

Regards,
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, maybe I am mistaken, but it sounds like you are saying that I am out of luck for even using a program I paid several hundred dollars for at the time which was only 5 years ago. If I could use the program at all I would let it drop. I am not saying I will not upgrade but this seems like very poor customer support. I could have bought an awful lot of patters in the store for what I originally paid for this program and now am being told that I am S.O.L for customer support unless I pay again. I am not happy about this........

posted Hide Post
Windows changed- we had to redo the entire program to support those changes. You dont have to buy an entire new program just an upgrade that took us many months of R&D to create to have it work in 2012.

The upgrade price from DS6 Pro to DS9 Pro is $89.00 and includes many additional patterns,collars, tools and options.

The price is 79 for DS7 Pro owners and 69 for Ds 8 Pro owners.

By logging in first the store area can determine what you own and discount the upgrade price to you.

Unlike many other software companies that don't allow owners from long ago to upgrade and do force repurchasing the entire package we have tried to make this as easy as possible and still stay in business to add additional functionality for all our users.

I hope you will take a look at the home page and upgrade offers.

Respectfully,
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has nothing to do with Windows. I am still using XP and have no desire at the moment to upgrade my computer. All I need is the update for my Dress Shop version. I could understand if I were upgrading to a new computer but nothing has changed. I was having a virus problem and reformatted. When I tried to reloaded Dress Shop I got the original problem but now I do not have he version 7 Update that fixed it before. I can not use my program. Dress Shop 9 at $89 does not sound like a bad deal but that is not the question here. The question is customer support for what I paid a lot of money for. Basically to put it bluntly why should I pay more money to gain customer support for something I already bought? It does not bode well if I come up in a few more years and have a problem with Dress Shop 9. Am I going to be told that in order to fix it I will have to upgrade again? Again my program will not work at all. If I had realized that when I had to reinstall the update would not be available I would have saved it to disc. I bought the CD and paid extra for it so that if this sort of situation occurred I could reinstall. Unfortunately the CD contains the same corrupted program that did not work without the original update and now the update is unavailable and you want to sell me something else. Business 101: take care of the customer and they will buy more. Do the opposite and they will have not so nice things so say about you.

posted Hide Post
I am happy to hear you were able to reformat your Windows XP option as MS has discontinued support. This doesnt make us happy either. It cost us a fortune to rewrite the programs.
Please see :

http://windows.microsoft.com/e...ows/help/end-support

Both Xp and Vista are considered "obsolete".

Quote from MS site above:
Support is ending for some versions of Windows

Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011.

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.*

If you're running one of these versions after support ends, you won't...
end quote.

Windows 7 is very different and in order for programs to function at all they must be updated. Sadly the world of technology moves along without regard to our emotions or budgets.

I have personally had to replace two computers,And Printers leaving only 1 Vista PC for support purposes. UGH to my budget! So you have my sympathy.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
I am trying to posting post an image from Facebook that shows the problem. Maybe if you see it you can understand what I am dealing with. The program opens in a small window in the upper left hand corner of the screen that is too small to even show the whole program . It is totally useless without the update that fixed it.

posted Hide Post
I had no problems reformatting. The updates are there so I simply redownloaded them. If I updated every time Microsoft says jump I really would be broke. I have a lot of programs I really like and would/will have to give up when I go to Microsoft 7 so I have no intention of doing it any time soon. I have been using computers since 1985 and can work around most problems. I never buy a new program when it first comes out either because a lot of companies and particularly Micro Soft uses customers to do their beta testing. That is one reason Micro Soft is not really one of my favorite companies. I could not get the picture to upload so here is a link: http://www.facebook.com/photo....46890&type=3&theater

posted Hide Post
I cant see trhe graphic- but by the description tis an IE issue. Upgrade your IE MAY resolve it.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
content not available. But same advice applies.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Actually you may find it available now forgot to change privacy settings on FaceBook.

posted Hide Post
Will the later versions of Dress Shop not work with XP? That could be a problem for me. My husband does have the one before 7 on his computer and I know I could put it on it but I would have to use it when he isn't and since he works from home...... I can't upgrade this computer because if I did I would be looking at thousands to upgrade my cad programs and that is simply not an option at this point.

posted Hide Post
DS9 works with both Vista and Win 7
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
It does also with XP.

Posts: 49 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will the later versions of Dress Shop not work with XP? That could be a problem for me. My husband does have the one before 7 on his computer and I know I could put it on it but I would have to use it when he isn't and since he works from home...... I can't upgrade this computer because if I did I would be looking at thousands to upgrade my cad programs and that is simply not an option at this point.

The small window issue is not a problem in Dress Shop itself, but rather that Microsoft made changes to how Internet Explorer worked. The version of Dress Shop that you have works properly with Internet Explorer 4, 5, or 6. But, later versions of Internet Explorer required changes that we had to do to Dress Shop.

Similarly, when Vista and Windows 7 came out, changes were made there that also required that we do compatible changes in Dress Shop. These changes are costly. They require developers and testers and endless support and service issues all of which are costly. To pay those costs, we need to charge something for them.

At this time, you can install Internet Explorer 6 (if you could find it) and your copy of Dress Shop would work fine. In the years since those changes were made, there have been many updates that were free and if you had kept copies of those, you could install them and they would work for you.

We do not provide all of those intermedidate versions any longer. We did for awhile, but we had endless cases of people installing the wrong version and having problems. Or, when they got new hardware, or a new vesrion of Windows or a new version of Internet Explorer, the version they wanted to stick with would no longer work. So, supplying older, obsolete versions that are not compatible with current hardware or operating systems was discontinued last year. We did numerous announcements that support for the older versions was being discontinued. If you had elected to receive announcements from Livingsoft, you would have had ample warning and ample opportunity to get your own backup copy of whatever you wanted.

That time period expired in October. From that date forward, we provide a version that will work on any hardware, any operating system and any version of Internet Explorer. You can upgrade to it if you like. If you do not wish to, then you should take your complaints to Microsoft because they chose to not insure backward compatibility when they released later versions of Internet Explorer and Windows.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post