Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    postings in old discussion board
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

postings in old discussion board
 Login/Join

posted
I still am working on my bodice sloper ,it's getting there but,...........
My comment is very simple, I've still been daily reading postings from the old discussion board and I find it very disheartening . I've read so many complaints regarding problems and fixes that are not being done, plus the comments of long time DS users that it makes me wonder if I made a huge mistake buying this program. The postings and complaints are getting more and more synical, it seems as if it's this side against that side. I seem to have bought the product at a time of transition and now after reading so much of what I've read I'm starting to wish I'd never heard of DS !
I'm afraid to post any problems or questions even though all the times that I have , I've had good responses from very helpful folks.
Please tell me , did I make a mistake buying a product from a company that's falling apart ? I was so excited when I first got the program and told so manysewing friends about the program . Now when I get together with a friend that sews I don't even mention it . I'm reluctant to tell anyone about the program now for fear that they would go to the discussion board and be totally turned off by the postings that I see there so much of the time now.
I am wondering if anyone else has the same thoughts as me even if I am just one shy voice in the crowd , and being that I am a shy voice I'm sure nervous now about ever stating a complaint or problem on the discussion board.

Posts: 26 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Cathy,

I stopped getting postings from the old discussion board. I do that with any internet discussion group that becomes contentious or negative.

Post to THIS group for help with bodice sloper and good positive energy.

Come to class tonight for more information on DS--??is topic tonight bodice drafting??

Unfortunately Kaaren has been busy getting the new Men's Collection out and has not been able to spend enough time on the Club pages recently but will soon and you can get personalized help with your sloper there. (E-Fit).

This program is amazing with unbelievable depth and flexibility. Personally, I have been having a blast taking ideas in my head and turning them into garments I love with DS.

Hope this helps.
Elizabeth

DS: all; MPD
XP sp2, IE6, HP7960

Posts: 34 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cathy,
Do not judge this company from what you see on the old discussion board.
If you start to watch the names, you will see that dissention on the old board always comes from the same small group of people. It is most unfortunate that the old board has been now turned into a bashing board, it prevents others from contributing. I know I have stopped.

Come here and chat. It has been very quiet lately and it would be great to get some conversation started. There is alot to learn about how this product can work for you.
Please do not let a few "bad apples" spoil it for you. We are not all like that.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning,
Change is a very difficult thing for some people to accept.

The change in the discussion list format for one. This is the company list.

The comapny was sold to the people who were making Dress Shop work since Dress Shop 2.5 back in 1993, and this year there was an change from 7 partners to 6.

The company is solid.

The partners are committed to providing good fitting patterns , cleanign up designs from the past and adding new designs, new design elements and new patterns.

Feel free to ask your questions here.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still am working on my bodice sloper ,it's getting there but,...........
My comment is very simple, I've still been daily reading postings from the old discussion board and I find it very disheartening . I've read so many complaints regarding problems and fixes that are not being done, plus the comments of long time DS users that it makes me wonder if I made a huge mistake buying this program. The postings and complaints are getting more and more synical, it seems as if it's this side against that side. I seem to have bought the product at a time of transition and now after reading so much of what I've read I'm starting to wish I'd never heard of DS !
I'm afraid to post any problems or questions even though all the times that I have , I've had good responses from very helpful folks.
Please tell me , did I make a mistake buying a product from a company that's falling apart ? I was so excited when I first got the program and told so manysewing friends about the program . Now when I get together with a friend that sews I don't even mention it . I'm reluctant to tell anyone about the program now for fear that they would go to the discussion board and be totally turned off by the postings that I see there so much of the time now.
I am wondering if anyone else has the same thoughts as me even if I am just one shy voice in the crowd , and being that I am a shy voice I'm sure nervous now about ever stating a complaint or problem on the discussion board.

The old discussion board used to be a pleasantly communal gathering of Dress Shop users helping other Dress Shop users, with occasional informational posts from Livingsoft support personnel. It was gently moderated by Annette Schofield at that time. When personal attacks were posted, Annette would chide the poster and request civility. On the very rare occasions that she was ignored, she would terminate the account of the person that had violated her rules for posting.

Unfortunately, Annette no longer moderates that board. Further, when the new forums were set up and working, Livingsoft support personnel stopped reading those boards, either. They are not there for technical support or customer support. That board is a social board for users that want to talk to other users. Those that post thinking they will get a response from Livingsoft will certainly be frustrated.

For some questions, that board is a fine information resource. How do you use the program? Where is some option that you cannot find. How do I change my measurements to get rid of a wrinkle in the armscye. Which serger is the best?

There many, many questions that such a board is perfect for. The questions that it is not helpful for are ones that are related to changing the program's drafting rules in any way or measurement analysis. Drafting rules are only changed after analyzing many, many meausurement sets to insure that all of them will get better patterns with the change. If the data is not there, the change will not get made.

Why is my waist indent not drafting at the right place? Can you answer that question? I don't think that any educator, measuring adviser, Livingsoft support, or the Dress Shop programmers could answer that question without having the measurements associated with it.

Those measurements can be provided if the user submits a problem report. Or, you can email them to PeggySue (Livingsoft customer support) care of support@LivingsoftNW.com . Or, you can email them to an educator. The people that have done that have gotten answers. The people that choose to not do that get frustrated.

If you want answers, post on this board. Or, submit a problem report. Or, send email to Livingsoft customer support. Or, visit one of Kaaren Hoback's excellent online classes. Or correspond with an educator. Or, meet with a user group. Contact information for all of these can be found at: http://www.livingsoftnw.com/Community.htm

The one thing that will not help is to try to get technical answers from a social discussion board. Asking questions that cannot be answered there can only lead to frustration, harsh words and ill will.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, this program is not falling apart. I have been a steady customer since the early 1990's when it was a DOS program. The improvements have been phenomenal. It is the best program out there. You did not make a mistake.

There are over 4000 customers, and you are reading comments from a few. Yes, there are a few problem areas, but overall, LivingSoft NW keeps investigating them, and correcting those as soon a possible, as seen by the many free updates. The new design sets are fun and exciting.

Stick with the program and make your own decisions. I for one would certainly reinvest in it, and I've made many clothes for myself, my husband, (even before this latest Men's Essentials just released) and family members and friends.

The support from LivingSoft NW and before it, Livingsoft has been excellent in my opinion.

Try to find a Dress Shop User's group near you, or at least post your questions to both discussion lists. You will enjoy it!

Posts: 39 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cathy, you have not made a mistake in getting involved with DS. What you HAVE done is furnished yourself with an opportunity to made and design clothes that fit you. Having been a member of the Jeans Workshop taught by Dee and Terry, the light bulb really went on!! I can copy any design from RTW that has had a paper generated pattern - to my correctly measured slopers! Vogue and Calvin Klein do not and did not design for "squattybodies" like my, but DS gave me the ability to make the Long and lean look fit me.
As for the grumbling on the old list, yes, it looks like a b---hsession amongst old friends. That part is really irritation to those of us who want knowledge. There are some great educators and seamstresses who frequent the old list so don't give up on the good stuff that is still there. The new list offers you educators and knowledge so keep frequenting!! If you ever have a problem with something that no one can help you with, you should always send a Problem Report while you have the problem on your screen. Describing something is not usually productive. Be sure to include the names and numbers of all the DS products you own when you send a problem report.
Gotta go, a student just called and is frantic for help altering her homecoming dress.
Stay with us, you won't be sorry.

Kelly in Texas

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Cathy,

You absolutely did not make a mistake in purchasing your DS Program. Work with the program, study it. Not only will you learn a lot but - with the right attitude - you will have a lot of fun. When company's make changes there are always lots of stories. There is a lot of support from this group - on line classes, user groups that will make your experience a good one. Please do not let the opinions of a few influence your decision or your opinion.

I have been using DS for several years and I use it to compliment the other work that I do. I make it work for me, rather than expecting it to do everything.

Perhaps one suggestion is not not review those lists or comments. Make up your own mind. Hopefully you will come to learn and enjoy this program.

Kathy in Phoenix

Kathy
DS 6 Pro, FD II & II, PD I, UO, UP,Fit Tool, All Patterns thru 1004, 1046, HD

Posts: 6 | Location: Phonix, AZ | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your wonderful responses, I DO feel encouraged by what you ahve all said now. I haven't been online for a great deal of the summer ( busywith summer type of stuff !!!) and on the ocasions that I do look at the old list it is a disappointment.
Now perhaps I should unsubscribe to that list and just stay focused here on this board. Thank you for affirming that my investment in this program was a good decision Smiler
I am remeasuring for my 3rd try at my bodice sloper, just some minor tweeking I think. I'll be sure ot post any questions regarding any DS related sewing issues here.
Once again thank you for your responses : )

Posts: 26 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Cathy,

I agree 100%. The day someone posted a long, mean-spirited letter "supposedly" written in private by Kaaren H., I unsubscribed to the old discussion list. Anyone who had read Kaaren's postings over the years could spot the forgery. Life is too short to waste it on negativity and misplaced anger. Enjoy working with your Dress Shop program. Sewing is a creative process that thrives in a positive environment. Whatever problems you encounter, you will find help here, as well as from the LivingSoft staff. Smiler

Linda in VA

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cathy,

The company is not falling apart, and no, you did not make a mistake in purchasing DS.

I follow both discussion boards. On the "old" one, people seem to feel more free to express their frustrations. There is a lot of expertise there in long-time users and it is possible to get help from them and to share ideas.

However, if you want anything "official" from the company you need to follow this forum.

What you will get from DS is patterns that fit YOU.

I believe some users feel that because they have purchased software they should get perfection. That is not going to happen. The program gets better all the time. When problems occur that can be proven and documented by a number of users, they are looked at. An example is the way darts were drafting in pants. That was recently corrected. The new men's wear set has improved drafting for men.

All software discussion groups that I know of have people who complain. Sometimes it is a matter of misunderstanding how the program works. Other times there really is somethings that needs to be addressed. What you have to do is decide which issues are valid. Use your delete key when the subject doesn't interest you.

My advise is to get your measurements and use the program. Appreciate it for what it will do. In time it will do even more.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cathy Duncan:
I've still been daily reading postings from the old discussion board and I find it very disheartening . ...The postings and complaints are getting more and more synical....
... I am wondering if anyone else has the same thoughts as me ...
Cathy, you can rest assured there are long-term DS users on the other discussion list who also find it "disheartening" to see negative posts. Keep faith in those you recognize as helpful and sharing of good information and as Carolyn says, use your delete key otherwise. Note that the program is the "Dress Shop Family" and that's how most of the users feel about one another, whether on this new board or the other, and hopefully you'll remain and share with both.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i too am a member of both groups but am using the delete button more and more on the other list. The program is terrfic but you need to put the time in to get your measurements right. The help is wonderful. I always read Terry Jerden, Tina Chester and Tessa Elstons posts on the old list and others.Always good solid advice. stick with it you won't be sorry.
Marge UK

[
quote:
Note that the program is the "Dress Shop Family" and that's how most of the users feel about one another, whether on this new board or the other, and hopefully you'll remain and share with both.

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post