Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MIA
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if MIA will ever be able to reflect our actual measurements and thereby serving as a fabulous croquis. Land's End as something similar for their clothing.----Denise

Posts: 82 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering if MIA will ever be able to reflect our actual measurements and thereby serving as a fabulous croquis. Land's End as something similar for their clothing.

No.

Displaying a useful picture of an arbitrary human is a very time and labor intensive undertaking. Any time spent on pretty pictures is time taken away from better patterns. We long ago decided that we would rather have the best patterns, rather than the flashiest pictures.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's too bad...I think that's a fabulous idea! There is so much technology available...it could make Dress Shop really stand out as something special to add special features like that.

Michelle G.
MPD 3.05 Pro
Dress Shop Pro 9.08
Windows 7

Posts: 62 | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn. The one at Land's End displays a general idea so you can see how the clothes would look. Wish I knew how to write a program like that-it would be so great---Denise

Posts: 82 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a realistic mia would be so much more than a "pretty picture". In fact, that is one feature that I suspect would appeal to the person who is shopping for pattern drafting software.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
I mentioned earlier that providing a semi-realistic software "model" to illustrate your garment selection could only be provided by taking away from the patterns provided. Software development resources spent on 3D illustrations are resources that cannot be used for more and better patterns.

Bernina has provided an example of what I was referring to. Their new pattern drafting software includes a 3D model that illustrates the garment you are making, displayed on a 3D model that reflects your own body shape.

Dress Shop 7 Pro costs $449 and includes 492 patterns.

Bernina's new "My Label" pattern making software costs $499 and includes 20 patterns. That price does not include the cost of the "measuring kit" needed to make the 3D model look like you.

For 3D pictures of what you may look like, go see:

http://www.berninamylabel.com/

While Bernina has instructed all vendors to NOT display the price online (you must visit a store to learn the price), one of them posted it anyway. Before it gets pulled, see:

http://www.thecalicocat.com/classesguide.htm

If the 3D illustration is important to you, then you might consider Bernina's software. I am sure that their illustrations and flash movies will prove popular, but we will continue to focus on reasonably priced patterns.

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh! Ee! the tone is getting frosty!
There are other 3 D programs out there but those of us who have stayed and watched our baby growing up are probably not going to spend a fortune on other programs.
DS does very well in the main.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, I guess it's all in the way each of us perceive the English language but I didn't see or feel anything frosty. Sorry to disagree but that's what makes us like snowflakes...we are all different.

I've had Dress Shop since #2 & have slowly added more & more. I now work mainly with MPD & sure it would be nice to have 3D capabilities but it's not that important to me. What's important is the fit & I'm lovin' it. I agree most of us have spent a lot & will continue to spend more on these programs but to spend that much more just for 3D...I don't think so.

I hope I didn't offend anyone because that is not what I intended. If I did I'm sorry. I just had to speak up & let everyone know I am happy & will continue to stay with Livingsoftnw. It's also like my baby. Smiler

Bobbieann

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way Board Administer, thanks for the links. Very informational.

Bobbieann

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobbieann:
By the way Board Administer, thanks for the links. Very informational.

Bobbieann
Ditto for me also!GGG.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did download the demo of the Bernina program when I first learned of it about a month ago. It is a great idea, but one look at the patterns available (ugh!), made me glad that I have had DS since the 2nd distribution and I am loving MPD. This months Threads magazine had a great article on snooping the stores, and trying on those things that we think we might look good in. Try that for 3D! I have been copying ideas for nearly a year, and then coming home and seeing if I can get MPD to knock it off. If I can't, then I buy a pattern with what I want to do, and adjust it to my needed proportions with MPD. I think we have a great deal in this program, and we need to pat ourselves on the back as we have pushed these software designers to satisfy us, and to keep the cost reasonable. They've done just that. Many thanks from me.
jann

jann power/Janice (my HQ16)
DSPro/MPDPro

Posts: 30 | Location: Washington | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Where did you find a download button ? I went to the site, out of curiosity, after seeing your post, but I can't find where to download the demo.

Christine-Hélène (Marcinelle, Belgium)

XP Pro, DS 7 Pro
FD1 & 2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Essential Activewear, Addon 5
Pattern sets 1006-1011-1018-1023-1029-1030-1035-1036-1045-1046

MPD Tool
My Pattern Designer Pro

Posts: 7 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From conversation on other lists, I think the Bernina download is only available in the US. Here is Australia I couldn't download it.

Posts: 71 | Location: Melbourne, Aust | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that might be it; I am in Brussels, Belgium

Christine-Hélène (Marcinelle, Belgium)

XP Pro, DS 7 Pro
FD1 & 2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Essential Activewear, Addon 5
Pattern sets 1006-1011-1018-1023-1029-1030-1035-1036-1045-1046

MPD Tool
My Pattern Designer Pro

Posts: 7 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
From conversation on other lists, I think the Bernina download is only available in the US. Here is Australia I couldn't download it.

This is their demo download page. You do have to enter an email address to get the download and some of those do reveal the country you are in (like Janet's). But, Christine-Hélène's hotmail address does not.

http://www.berninamylabel.com/content-n29-sE.html